Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
hpv and fibroids

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

hpv and fibroids

Well I was told that I have hpv my pap was normal tho, and today I found out that I have fibroids too and I am only 17. I feel like I was'nt explained very well about what is going on with my body. I am confused, depressed, and tired. No one will tell me what to do I suppose to just sit here and just wait 3 months to have another pap and 6 months to have another ultrasound for them to look at the fibroids, but what happens now, tomorrow or years from now I mean I want to have a child one day but I dont know im so confused I kno it might be too much to ask for but please help....thank you... and god bless you...
Try not to worry to much.  I also have both HPV and fibroids...I will start with HPV.  It is really common, and most women who have had more then 1 sexual partner have it. I was never promiscuous, and it only takes once.  It does not impact fertility, nor does it impact your ability to carry a baby.  It will not interfer with anything really, except that it is very important you do not miss your annual pap smear.  Educate yourself on it.  There is also an HPV forum here on medhelp.  

As for firbroids, I have two of them.  Depending on their location and size, they can cause miscarriage.  The good news is they can be removed.  I didn't realize you could get them so young, but then again, I am certainly no expert.  

Now your so young, so I feel the need to say this.  Please, to avoid any other more serious sexually transmitted diseases, please, always always use a condom.  

Thank you so much adgal. I really appreciate it your advise really helped to calm my nerves down and answer some of my questions. Thanks again.
I wouldn't worry about the HPV thing either....I think it's something like 99% of women who are sexually active get this.   It can lead to cervical cancer and that's why women are screened every year with pap smears.  Some day you may get an abnormal pap smear and if you do they may do nothing and just check you again in three months or they may just freeze off the abnormal tissue - which doesn't hurt at all.   And it doesn't interfere with you trying to conceive or having a baby.

Firbroids are pretty common too.....if they get big enough the doctors may want to remove them.  I believe there is medication they can give you to reduce the fibroids.  do they cause you to have painful and heavy periods.  That's the biggest side effect.  They may or may not be troublesome for you when you try to have a child, but if they are, they can be removed.  Don't worry...welcome to being a woman!
I have a fibroid, its over 5cm so not sure where it falls in the "bigness" of fibroids world but so far it hasn't impeded my ability to get pregnant and stay pregnant...I'm 26 weeks, the only thing my doc said is that it may cause my kiddo not to flip (currently she's breech - not head down).

Good Luck and definitely protect your self, there's lots of nasty things out there.
Joanne
Thanks so much for your advise, and comments. I use to get very heavy periods that lasted about 2 weeks but they stopped 2 months ago and the only pain I feel when talking about the fibroids is when having intercourse but me and my boyfriend have been together for about 2years now and I always explain to him about what is going on with my body and the way I feel alot of times about sex and he seems to understand me (well sometimes) but hpv and fibroids arent really common in males right??? but thanks alot again and I will do my best to protect myself.
HPV is common in men, they just rarely show any syptoms (symptoms) of it.  If he is the only guy you have ever been with, that is where you got it.  It can only be caught through sexual contact, usually intercourse.  But no, men cannot get fibroids, and they are not contagious.  Take care
Alrite thanks so much I will.