Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
meconium testing for drugs (marijuana)

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

meconium testing for drugs (marijuana)

I am currently 37 weeks pregnant, I am involved with the catholic children's aid society. I have done hair strand tests and a urine test previously, which came out negative. I admitted to CCAS  smoking marijuana but I said the last time was in April 2011, but I  did smoke up at least 5 times last month sometime in  September  (in small doses). I'm due November 30/11 and the society will be testing my unborn baby's first poo. Would the marijuana  show up in my baby's stool?. When the hospital test the baby, does the hospital then test me? ( I want to be tested as well). The  society said I have a 90% chance of keeping my baby and bringing her home but the society wants to see the test results first,  I'm not an addict just a recreational user
I'm honestly not certain if it will show in your babies feces or not at that point.  However, I work in social services, and there are a few things I do know.

They typically prefer not to remove children from their mothers.  Most agencies will work hard with mom in an attempt to keep the family intact and get mom whatever help and resources she needs.  I'm going to be honest with you (as I see this regularly).  Honey, I am not being judgemental or mean.  I haven't walked in your shoes, nor do I know anything about you or your life.  But based on the choices you made knowing the possible consequence was losing your child, do you not think that is possibly a sign of maybe having a problem with this drug? Again, not being judgemental, but am encouraging you to seek help and support.  You and your child deserve it, and resources are available to you should you decide you would like to utilize them.  I wish you well, I truly do.
It takes at least 30 days for marijuana to clear out of ones system. Seeing as you are due In About 3 weeks I don't see how it would not show up on the drug screening. Unless it was more then a week and a half ago that you used.
The meconium is sent and will show a drug was used at some point.  They also test urine to see if it has been recently.
I agree with Adgal. I  think you are in denial about your problem. You are NOT a recreational user if you are using when the consequences of doing so are so serious.

Think about it this way...the reason they are concerned about your use of marijuana is because of what it can do to your baby. If you aren't an addict and CHOSE to use recreationally while pregnant, endangering your baby on purpose...what does that say about the kind of mother you are? At least with an addict one can somewhat understand that your decision making in this area is compromised...

I am very glad that you chose to disclose your drug use and feel that is a step in the right direction. I also feel you need help if you are going to be a good mother to this baby...and you owe it to your baby to do what is in his or her best interest...