metformin and prenatal vitamins
I am currently ttc taking metformin wondering if prenatal vitamins or folic acid will cause harm?
I have read that taking Prenatal & Folic acid is good when you are TTC
I tool them before I got pregnant. Good luck
I looked metformin up in Mosby's Drug Guide for Nurses 9th Edition and there is no mention of any interaction with vitamins. There is a mention that metformin can cause Vit B12 deficiency. Also if you take an estrogen supplement it can increase your risk for hypoglycemia.

There is a long list of herbs that interact with metformin, however, so choose a prenatal vitamin that does not have herbs. I would type it out but it is a pretty long list LOL. I checked my prenatal vitamin's ingredients and none of the ingredients are on the list of things that interact with metformin (I am taking NatureMade Prenatal Milti + DHA).

To be safe, buy your vitamins at a pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist (not a tech, the actual Doctor of Pharmacy or PharmD) about the medication you are taking and any possible interactions with the vitamins you are considering. If you start taking fertility drugs, make sure your doc knows about all your medications.

Good luck to you!
My husband is diabetic and used to take Metformin, while he was taking numerous supplements including 400 mg of folic acid a day. I think his doctor okay-ed them. But like Christine said, check with your local pharmacist or doctor to be on the safe side. Good luck!