Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
older mothers

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

older mothers

Hi I am new to this forum but I am 42 years old and have 2 healthy young boys but I would desperately love to have one more child. I realise my chances are pretty slim but want to hear any success stories from other ladies out there around my age and what they did. Also anyone had any positive stories on success with dhea supplements
Welcome!!  I am 39, and currently trying for child no. 1.  We "older moms to be" have a few extra challenges, but you will meet lots of women here your age and older who have had successful pregnancies.  Some on their own, others with a bit of help.  Might be a good idea to consult with your OB, have him test your FSH, get a complete physical, etc.  Knowing your FSH level is a really good starting point, and if you still have regular periods and regular ovulation.  Best of luck to you, and again, welcome!!

Amanda
Hello Miraculous!  Welcome to the "Old Lady" Site : )  just kidding!  I became pregnant at 42, delivered a perfectly healthy boy at 43, and will be 45 next month and would love to have another as well  Everyone's bodies are different at this age...yes, your chances may be slim but it does happen.  I was astonished that I became pregnant the first time I tried at 42!!  So, that is kinda a miracle in itself.   I would do what Amanda suggested, see your OB or RE whichever the case, and get yourself the green light to go ahead and start TTC!!  Keep us posted!  Pam
Thanks for your reply,congrats to you becoming a mum. My fsh on day 3 was 23 which I now understand is bad if you are ttc but I've heard other people say it can go up and down varying enormously even from month to month. What was your fsh when you conceived at that age?. Has anyone read that book "Inconceivable"? just wondering what you thought of it. About 6 months ago I had 2 cycles of iui which failed and the stress of going through this process caused a lot of pain so I decided not to go down that path anymore. I would just let nature take it's course. So yes I've seen an ob/gyn and they told me that my chances were slim which I already knew anyway and said my best chance would be donor egg which I don't want to do.
The thing is...dr.s can only tell you what the statisticsl are....and you may turn out to be one that isnt one of those....so I would keep trying, doing as much as you can to increase your chances of a natural pregnancy. I wouldnt have a donor egg either....so we just have to do our best with what sits easy with us.
Welcome! The very best thing you can do is get a complete physical. Have your hormones checked, including Thyroid. If you have regular cycles, periods, and a consistent tend in Ovulation you might be the lucky one. I'm 35 with 2 boys 12, 10 and I realized early that I would need help. Do everything in order, it makes life much easier IF you have to see a Fertility Specialist like I did.

Physical w/ blood work including Throid, FSH
Sperm Count Test: Fertility Dr. will ask you for this
Complete log of cycle, period, basal body temp. etc.*NOTE* taking temp is an excellent way to get a heads up on how your body works.

Additional test which are sometimes needed (like me) HSG=checking to see if tubes are blocked.
Miraculous wrote this post... : )
My FSH was 16 and I'm 30 weeks pregnant and will be 41 at delivery.  It can happened, good luck to you.
Hi and welcome.  I'm 40 and will have my 4th baby the month after I turn 41.  I've had 2 m/c's (2003 & 2008), but I have several issues.  It's possible to get pg at 42.  Go ahead and try if you really want to.  Best wishes.
I forgot to mention that my 2 m/c's are in addition to my 3 healthy kids--I'm pg for the 6th time now.
Thanks for all the encouragement from all of you, the fact that I'm not alone and that others have managed to do it at my grand old age gives me some hope. Has anyone had any experience with the DHEA supplement and also if you have any other tips to pass on it would be great. Oh by the way I'm from Australia and on this forum
Hi "Miraculous",

I am turning 42 (tomorrow) and am also seeking success stories of women in their '40s who have delivered healthy babies.  

I haven't heard anything about taking DHEA supplements for pregnancy and in fact, I would be a little afraid.  There are many vitamins and supplements out on the market that could actually be dangerous, eg. Vitamin A supplements, certain fish oils..I was even alarmed to discover that certain herbal teas (like chamomile) are not recommended for pregnant women.

DHEA supplements are sold "under the counter" at many health stores in my city (Toronto, Canada).  As we age, our natural DHEA levels go down and so these supplements are promoted as anti-aging miracles.  

The Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto runs a program called "Mother Risk" that provides information to women on what substances are safe and what should be avoided.  They have a telephone service with access to medical personnel, as well as a website.  I'm wondering if you have a similar facility where you live?  I'd strongly recommend getting in touch with people who have done the research...there is too much conflicting information out there on the web.

Good luck,
M
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
renae176 commented on photo
7 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on photo
renae176 uploaded new photos