Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
walking on the treadmill at 38 weeks

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

walking on the treadmill at 38 weeks

I would like to know some medical facts regarding the pros and cons of walking on a treadmill when you are pregnant. I went to the gynecologist(who keeps changing at every visit since this is the main hospital of the country i reside in) for my weekly visit and she asked me if I walk and how long I walk.I started by telling her that I walk for 40minutes on the treadmill and before i could say that I follow four 10minutes sets and walk at a pace of 3MPH and walk around the house as well, she interrupts me and starts asking who asked you to walk on the treadmill.And starts ridiculing the idea saying it's not allowed.You must not walk on a treadmill.

My question is, Is it okay to walk on the treadmill at this stage. I have been walking on the treadmill since my 7th month and none of the other gynecologists mentioned that it was dangerous. I know every one is entitled to have their opinions but i do not agree that they should ridicule another train of thoughts.Hope i get some answers that are medically correct. Being part of the medical system myself, I like to be clear on every aspects of the topic. I read in many sites that it is ok to walk on the treadmill.But since internet gives both true and false information i just want to be sure.
Thanks in advance
Unless you have any underlying medical concerns, I would think it's fine. At 38wks you are getting very close to delivery, so any type of exercise that causes exertion may help induce labour.  Exercise (especially walking) is encouraged and beneficial throughout pregnancy...alot of women can't exercise because of health conditions, or they simply don't have the energy.  I walked about 30mins everyday during both my pregnancies.  I think it's great, keep walking!
I totally agree with Pam! Walking at 3mph is a very safe pace! Just make sure you stay well hydrated and everything should be all good! That is a good idea with walking in intervals, gives your body time to cool down!!

We bought a treadmill in March to help me shed my baby weight! I am totally addicted, I run everyday! I am trying to run at 6mphs for long periods of time but I can't hang, looks like 5mph is fast enough for me! I have lost all my baby weight plus and extra 20lbs all because of the treadmill! And with my next baby somewhere in the very far future I plan on walking my entire pregnancy if I have no medical complications!

Keep walking girl!
thanks a lot for your opinions. It is quite encouraging.So far my pregnancy is reported as healthy and normal..Let's hope it goes the same way till the end.:)
I think they might be worried about you falling. But even walking outside with cracks and whatnot you can have a nasty spill. I say go for it as long as you feel comfortable. My SIL ran her whole pregnancy and even finished a marathon in her 8th month!!!
Rachel I am so jealos of your weight loss!! I wish I could afford a treadmill!! I guess walks with the babies will have to do:~(
i have worked out and will continue to do so unless a medical issue arises that requires me to stop.
i know many women who have continued to RUN until delivery and they and their babies are just fine.
do what you are confortable with and listen to your body
i ran through the first trimester but have switched to walking (on the treadmill since it is too hot outside) but at a pace of 4-5 mph.
i am a distance runner and have done 9 marathons, so my body is used to the activity.
some doctors just want you to sit on the couch and not move.  you are pregnant, not broken
and keeping you heart and body strong and healthy is good for you AND the baby (as long as there are no medical reasons not to)

absolutely agree with the other ladies here.  As long as you are comfortable doing it and you are having a normal pregnancy go ahead and keep up the exercise.  You can exercise right up to when you are in labor, and even at the early stages.

Being fit will definitely give you a much better chance at an easier delivery and quick recovery.

Did you know that when you exercise your baby also exercises along with you, as when your heart rate goes up so does the baby's.  A fit baby is actually a baby that is more prepared to be born and cope with life outside the womb.

That doctor is totally out dated.

Keep up the good work.