Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
when did you wear maternity clothes

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

when did you wear maternity clothes

ok so I'm only 7 weeks and for the past week my clothes have been uncomfortable so much so that I've already started wearing stretchy clothes.  I don't think its from showing but from bloating.  Is this normal?  I don't want to buy maternity clothes yet cause I'll feel silly not even 2 months along yet.  I have actually lost weight but still feel like my belly is in a permanent pooch.
I was wearing maternity clothes early this time because my baby belly really popped out front fast. I don't mind though, maternity pants are comfortable and no zippers or buttons to worry about.
I don't mind showing early if that's what's happening I'm ready for the baby bump to show the world I'm pregnant....but I just thought it seemed strange if I started wearing maternity clothes already.
Same thing happened to me.  Before I started "showing" my stomach seemed very bloated and flabby.  It looked like I was starting to get a beer gut or something.  In the beginning I used one of those belly bands.  You can get them an Motherhood.  it is an elastic band of material.  you leave your pants unbuttoned and cover it up with the band.  It allowed me to wear my reg close much longer and without being uncomfortable.  
haha, i am not even sure if this is a sticky pregnancy and just over 6 wks and in maternity pants.  my belly always pops out.....:(  but it is so comfortable not to wear regular clothes and try to hide it.  :)
Mine popped out quick too from being bloated, but then after about 13 weeks the bloatiness went away. But I had to wear stretchy clothes for fear that I would somehow cut off circulation to the baby if I wore tight clothes!
LOL well guess I'm not alone I'm gonna try to wait a bit longer b/c buying maternity clothes but not much I want to have the baby bumpp.
My SIL has always used a pony tail holder to give her pants a little extra room early in her pregnancies.  Maybe it can work for you
I really popped out early this pregnancy.  I started wearing my maternity clothes at 6 weeks!  I hear it's a good sign that you're bloating--your body is making lots of progesterone.  I tried doing the rubberband thing (although the pony tail holder sounds more appealing), but I was still very uncomfortable--and I popped several rubberbands--OUCH!  I think those belly bands are a great invention, but I didn't hear about them until I was fairly far along in my last pregnancy.  Since I have so many maternity pants hanging around, it just made sense to put them to good use.  I think the lack of constriction has allowed this baby to eat, eat, eat and grow a lot--the baby's measuring a week older than it should be.  Enjoy your "baby bump"!
Melanie
The small poof is water retention and perfectly normal. Maternity clothes are best picked out and bought before you need them. Plan on an increased bustline, belly and all over weight gain! Think puffy. It's best to make lists for yourself, baby, babygear (carseats and furniture). That way you combine shopping and budget. My favorite pregnancy clothes were ones I wore before and after baby. His big T-shirts are perfect nightgowns. What you buy also depends on climate and season. Most clothes were styles in junior sizes (larger than normal ofcourse) that had room for bust and belly. Dresses are great when you're pregnant! Empire waist and drop waist both work. Buy good quality cottons, silks, blends or favorite materials, you may be wearing those same dresses for years to come non-pregnant! I saved tons of money and can't remember ever buying anthing from a maternity dept. at all.
When I went shopping for maternity clothes I found a pair of "first trimester jeans" at KMart that I wore all the time.  Theu are strechty but don't have the maternity band, and look like regular jeans, just a bit bigger in the belly for the bloating.  I haven't put them on a a few weeks, but even at 25 weeks I bet I could wear them.  I loved them, and found mine on the clearance rack for $3.  The belly band is a great idea, I wish I had followed through and gotten one. I also lost a lot of the swelling around 13 weeks and found that I could wear more of my regular clothes then. I would wait a little bit before buying maternity clothes, maybe you can get some decent deals on markdowns if you wait a bit longer. I am always for saving money, :)  Glad to see you are doing well, congrats on your little bean!!
I just recently ordered some maternity clotes through Gap at 20 weeks.  I've been making due with low rise jeans and those shirts that are now in style that are kind of tight or have elastic under the boobs, then flow out.  I forget the name of the style.  I got a few at Old Navy and some really cute ones at Abercrombie.  I did get a size bigger than normal though.  

I started showing at 12 weeks.