Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
11 Days Past Ovulation...Too Soon to Tell?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My sister told me that I should definetely get a positve pregnancy test 11 days past ovulation, and mine was a big fat negative this morning.  Should I count myself out?  I am so frustrated because I have PCOS so my periods are irregular so my husband and I use ovulation tests to tell when I ovulate, which my "optimum" days were 1-3 of this month.  I am so afraid we will not have an easy time this time and I want this baby so much!  What do you guys think?

Also, any recommendations on pregnancy tests?  I have tested twice, once with Answer and once with Clear Blue Easy Digital.
Happy pregnancies and trying to all!
Emmas Mom
Although some tests can pick up the figures early, I would definitely NOT count yourself out yet.  Test again when AF is due and then again a few days after that, if they keep up negative.
I tested at 7 DPO and received a faint positive on a first response pregnancy test.  I too have PCOS, everyone is different.  Are you sure you ovulated this month?  Are you being followed by a physician?  Good luck and much sticky baby dust to you..
I tested 11 DPO and got a negative, I didn't test again until 17DPO and got my BFP. You may have ovulated late or maybe just the hormone level is too low to detect. Don't be discouraged, you still could be pregnant.
Emmas Mom,

There are soooo many factors that can affect *when* you test positive, even if you know the exact moment of ovulation and/or fertilization.  Even throwing out different things we can do that will affect (like being overly hydrated which dilutes our urine):  

1. The egg is viable for 24 hrs after it is released, so there's day one (If you're counting from when you had sex, you could have another few days in there!).  

2. Let's say a sperm finally found it 'round the end of that day, and then the now-fertlized egg keeps up it's lazy tumble toward the uterus... that can take anywhere from as little as three days to as many as FIFTEEN...in the rarest of instances, possibly up to eighteen It's crazy, I know.  The average is about 7 - 9 days.  

3. After that, it can take up to 4 days to fully implant, but your body usually recognizes that something's going on and starts it's skimpy production of hcg within a day or two.  So there's two more days before it even turns on the hcg factory.  

4. It takes another day or two for it to be detectable at all in your blood, and your urine hcg levels will always lag behind your blood levels.  

5. Once it is measurable in the blood (we're talking a 5+), figure on 2 days for it to reach that in your urine.  If it doubles every 2 - 3 days, then that would take a few more days to be detectable on the "early result" tests.  

Summary: even at the average *minimums* in those 5 major steps, that still puts you at 12 dpo before you would likely test positive.  

Clinically, the first response/answer early detection tests consistently have the best early detection rates.  But that's only if there's enough there to be detected (and assuming no variation in production quality of tests, which there most definitely ARE in every brand).  All things considered, it's perfectly feasible to not test positive until 21 days after ovulation.  

But as a benchmark to give yourself a "likelihood factor", the average woman will test positive with an early detection test around 24-36 hours before a missed period.  The "majority" (as opposed to average) will test positive with an early detection test anywhere from 48 hours before missed period until 24 hours after missed period.

Keep peeing on your sticks!  It ain't over yet.  :-)  
I appreciate all the responses so much!  It is hard for me to know when my period is expected because they are so irregular.  We have been trying since Aug about and I have been tracking my periods which have been one month I get one, then two months later I get one and on and on that way.  If I go by that "cycle" then this month I am not due for a period.  My last period was Dec. 9th and my average time in between is 35 days.

Here is to hoping I will show positive soon!
hey Emma I test negative for 2 months and then tested possitive ....
I tested at 10 dpo and got a faint positive...I retested the next day and got a darker line as well as a 'pregnant' read out on a digital...Good luck!
I would suggest waiting until you miss your next expected period or at least two weeks.  Don't give up hope yet though, as conception dates may be different than expected, since sperm may live inside you for a few days after intercourse. Good luck and even if you get a negative, do not give up hope!
You seem to know a fair bit about pregnancy/hcg levels etc.

I had my last period 12 December. On 12 Janaury i tested positive. however my blood results showed only 19 HCG. Dr said it indicates i'm a few days rather than weeks pregnant and i could've ovulated late or that there is a serious problem. I'm really worried. Got another blood test tomorrow.

What do you think?
The pregnancy hormone HCG that HMP test for is released roughly 8 days after ovulation so theoretically you could get a positive test after 11 days. However most HPT can only pick up the hormone 12-15 days after ovulation. So don't count urself out just yet, try again in a few days but try getting a test that is an early test e.g. first response (they can detect pregnancy 5 days before ur missed period). So just try again and good luck!!! x
Ok, forgive me if this sounds harsh toward your doctor,  but DUH---of course you're only technically a few "days" pregnant.  It's only been a few days since implantation.  Duh.  That's how pregnancy happens.  Does your doctor somehow think that you begin producing hcg as soon as your egg gets fertilized in the fallopian tube??  If so, you need to find a new doctor.

The greatest likelihood is that your doc is giving you two things as absolutes, when there are NONE in anything fertility related.  To say it must be one or the other is borderline abuse of power.  I happened to have a very fast "egg descent" this time and tested faint positive at 7dpo.  And then I had REALLY high hcg levels---like twin high (not molar high).  Last time, I didn't.  And hcg levels themselves vary so insanely much from woman to woman, pregnancy to pregnancy.  If your egg took it's time getting there, that's just as valid (and statistically even more likely) than a late ovulation or a "problem" with the pregnancy.  And if it did, then your levels are high.  If it took the average of 7-9 days to descend, then your hcg levels are perfect.

There's a website that collects women's beta hcg levels, have a look and see the huge range between women.  it's the Betabase.  (http://www.betabase.info)  It should put your mind at ease.

On the flipside, and playing devil's advocate for a moment, you should follow up with a beta series to make sure your levels are rising appropriately.  That is a good indicator of the relative health of a pregnancy early on.  One test isn't enough to even be making statements like your doctor has made.  Don't sweat it, sister.  Just go for the follow-up (and I'd even say go for an extra, two days later) and find out the exact numbers.  And make sure they use the same lab each time.  That's important.  Different labs will run slightly different assays.

Keep me posted!  

- Jess
Thank you so much, you don't know how much you have settled me saying that!

I'll let you know next week what happens.

THANK YOU!!!! x
hii everyone..i m in a damn confusion bcoz i had early preg symptoms but wen i cheked it was negative.i have 2 more days for period..i dont knw wat 2 do?
HI,

I seem to be on an irregular cycle.  I had my period on June 15th and expected cycle to start July 13th-15th but no period.  Then I used the ovulation detector on July 17th and it showed a "Happy Face" signaling the go ahead.  I am about 11 days Post Ovulation and haven't really had bad nausea but a very slight to a headache.  Recently 2 days now I have had slight lower bachache but not consistent.  very much in periods and I have had sharp pains in my lower right side.  I am afraid to perform the home test as I do not want it to be negative.  Is 11 DPO enough time? Should I wait till 14-15 DPO?

Anxious SR
Hey Hi

I am Smriti and I almost fell from my bed laughing on your comment. Seems you have knowledge and sense of humour too!!

I wish to seek some help, I have just turned 29 on 31.July and we have been planning since april, I so eagerly want a baby and have been visiting a gync. Last month I got my periods 12 days later, My doctor has adviced me everything is ok with me after the tests but I have some hormonal imbalance.

she has prescribed me a lot of mineral vitamins and now sustan VT 200 to take for app. 8 days.

Am I late to conceive, I don't know why this question haunts me.

Also I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and I weight around 80 kg.
Can you pls guide me what can I do to get pregnant, I so very much want to have a baby.

Cheers
Smriti.
Hey, i did an early detection test today and it was negative...i have all the Symptomes sooooo lets just wait and see what happens :)
Never give up Hope!!! Baby Dust to u all and me :)))
GREETINGS....................Am STEVEN CLARA i live in UK and i got married to KEVIN STEVEN , i want to share my great testimony on how DR.IMONAH the great love spell caster that brought back my Husband with in 48 hours .I was married with KEVIN STEVEN for six years, after six years of marriage ,he broke up with me because of his mistress , I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything i have, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to a female friend of mine and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it,then I meant a spell caster called DR IMONAH and I email him on his first mail and did not reply and then i was so lucky that i was that his number was attach to the testimony i show so i called him and explained to him that i write to him before on his mail on gmail and he told me that he do not use that mail again and he gave me his new mail (***@**** )and told to write to him true the mail , so i did so and explained my problems to him when writing to he on the email he gave to me , and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before 48 hours , that my husband will return to me when i contacted DR.IMONAH i never taught that this would have been possible but to my greatest surprise after 48 hours of me contacting DR.IMONAH my husband called me , I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he is ready to make up for lost time and he wants me to forgive him and accept him back as his wife again ,that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then While until this moment my eyes are full of surprise because i never thought that he will come back to me again. At this moment i have nothing to say than to thank DR.IMONAH for his great powers and for making use of it to help those in need so since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem or any family problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all other spell casters. contact him now via email:(***@****) or call him with his number (+2347010648910). If you have any other problems he can help you just contact him and explain your problems to him and he will solve it for you , he is very powerful
hansen20 by by af!!☺ Comment
47 mins ago
Des_a_rae commented on pb95's status
1 hr ago
Shannon79, Des_a_rae, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy