Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
22wks Pregnant...Suppositories Safe? Response Needed ASAP!

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am 22wks along and suffering from HORRILBE constipation. I take a stool softner every day and drink plenty of fluids but I haven't had a BM for almost 5 days now and I'm in so much pain I can barely stand from being backed up. Sorry if TMI!

Are suppositories safe?
So sorry you are going thru constipation.  I had it bad during the beginning of my pregnancy ...thankfully it let up!  

I did a google search for suppositories for constipation during pregnancy.  Here's what netdoctor.co.uk said about Dulco-lax suppositories:

"Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

* This medicine is not known to be harmful if used during pregnancy. However, as with all medicines, you should seek medical advice from your doctor before using this medicine during pregnancy, particularly during the first trimester. Other methods of relieving constipation may be more suitable for you.

* This medicine is not known to pass into breast milk, however the manufacturer recommends that it is not used by women who are breastfeeding. If you are breastfeeding seek medical advice from your doctor before using this medicine, as other methods of relieving constipation may be more suitable for you."

Annnnnd ...a BBC News article said this:

"Constipation and haemorrhoids:

The bowel absorbs more fluid during pregnancy and food moves slower down the intestines.

This can lead to constipation which can in turn trigger haemorrhoids - protrusions from the anus which bleed and can be painful and itchy.

Pregnancy hormones which relax the veins may also contribute to haemorrhoids.

Women who have to take additional iron may find that this worsens the problem.

Pregnant women with constipation are discouraged from taking laxatives.

Instead doctors recommend eating lots of fruit and vegetables, exercising regularly, avoiding standing still for long periods and drinking plenty of fluids."

I hope you poop soon!  =D
I think they are! On the back of your insurance card there should be a Call A Nurse number. It should be 24/7 line that you could call and ask. I know it's embarassing but they'll have more info on it since I'm not 100% sure.

So sorry you're feeling backed up! Maybe your doctor could prescribe a "strong" laxative for you! TreeTop Apple Juice works wonders in unclogging you. Also, drink some tea!
I don't know about the suppositories, but if you start taking two Fiber Choice tablets a day, it may help you get back on track. They have helped me during this pregnancy, as NOTHING would help during my first b/c I didn't know what to try. A fellow pregnant friend suggested the Fiber Choice and it seems to be working so far. I usually chew 2 to 3 per day, and they taste really good!

Last pregnancy, I know I tried the Benefiber in my iced tea and sometimes in my food, but there was just something gross about "knowing" it was in there. It never worked, but maybe I wasn't giving it a real chance.
i do not think they are safe because some cause contractions to come on.  talk to your doctor about it.
I have had the same problem especially during my first and second trimester. My doctor had me use an enema to clean me out then to keep me regular he told me to take colace (stool softener) daily. I finally got my BMs regular after doing this for a few weeks. I know that an enema sound yucky and no fun, but they work. You can just buy the generic over the counter enema and that should work for you. Hope everything works out for you!
Oh man, I hear you.... I had it so bad my first trimester it was unbelievable. The only thing my doctor recommended for me was Colace, a gentle softener that you take orally. It has been used for years and years and is considered safe during pregnancy. Definitely get it under control now, because prolonged constipation can lead to hemorroids (hemorrhoids), polyps, etc... Keep drinking that water, and try to stay as active as you can. And defintely tell your doctor that you're struggling with this; it's important for them to know. Best wishes - and so sorry you're miserable! I totally understand!
My doc said to use a Fleet suppository twice a day until I got more regular.

He's also okayed Colace, Milk of Magnesia, Miralax, and enemas.  None of that was working for me--stool softeners had zero effect.  I KNOW what you've been going through (hopefully by now, you've pooped!).

I've also started eating Activia yogurt and I THINK it's helped.  Pears and apple/prune juice are good, too.
I was told a good home remady to try was mix apple juice and prune juice. And that was from a Dr when my 6yr old was backed up bad. They said that it works great. And it did.
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
hansen20 24 weeks and have to go do ... Comment
KeeLolo commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy