Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
25 wks and softened cervix and dialated to a fingertip

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

This is my 4th pregnancy but only have one child. I went to a dr appt today that will help me to get established through the VA and help with my medical bills. I was told that I need to take it easy, lift nothing and see my dr ASAP tomorrow. They said my cervix has softened and am dialated to at least a fingertip, she didn't want to cause cramping so didn't try to check further. I have had contractions off and on but haven't been to the hospital in 5 wks to have them checked. My dr said then my cervix was closed and all was fine. I am trying not to freak out but having 2 early miscarriages doesn't help. I am only 25 wks barely and wonder if anyone else has been through this and what did they do? I see my dr tomorrow morning.
I don't blame you for being concerned at all.  I would be too.  My best advice would be to take it super easy until your appt. tomorrow.  I know they can put something in your cervix called a cerclage.  It is a stitch they put in the cervix to keep it closed.  Once you are at a safe place in your pregnancy, they remove it.  But I don't know how early that has to be done.  I haven't had it done, but know people who have.  They do this procedure for an incompetent cervix, but I don't know if that is what problems you have had in the past.  This procedure is normally done for women who have a history of the incompetent cervix or really early labor.

Good luck and try to get some rest!
I would ask my dr. if you should have steroid injections because you are slightly dialated this early.  Usually 2 injections and it does help develop the lungs.  You may have to go on bedrest or modified bed rest (doing very little except bathroom etc... and stay laying down as often as possible.  There are medications to help stop contractions.  Make sure you do not have a UTI and just don't know it.  Drink lots of water so you are well hydrated-this helps to ward off contractions.  I am glad you are seeing Dr.  They will know what to do.  I wish you the best!
With my 2nd pregnancy, I started having tons of contractions at 27 weeks with a very soft cervix but was still not dilated. At 28 weeks I was 1cm and by 31-32 weeks I was 4cm and 80% effaced. I was on very strict bedrest (could only get up to go to the bathroom) and was on medication to try to stop labor, had injections to stop labor another time, and also got 2 rounds of the steroid shots. He stayed put until I was 36weeks.
Bedrest and drinking lots of water is key! I hope everything turns out just fine. Hang in there!!
After having multiple kids my OB told me that you are always a fingertip dialated.It's good that they didn't try to check you more because that can actualy cause you to dialate.  I wouldn't worry too much about that. You should watch your contractions looking for patterns or more than 5 in an hour and if that happens call your dr right away. There are medications they can give you to stop the contractions that combined with bedrest is really effective. I went into labor at 20 weeks with my first and around 25 weeks with my second and both times they were able to delay delivery until 37 and 35 weeks with bedrest and medication. Good luck.
Thank you ladies for all the info, just wanted to update everyone. I am considered being in preterm labor but with the contractions not being consistant they aren't putting me on bed rest yet. I am on meds to help with contractions (Nifedipine) and have to take it very easy. They will recheck me in one week to see if things have moved further. I am not at all effaced which is good news and so now we just relax and take it one week at a time. The are also going to do another u/s in a couple weeks to compare my cervix to my 20 wk.
hansen20 does BBT stay up until peri... Comment
7 mins ago
hansen20 commented on photo
32 mins ago
Shannon79 commented on photo
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy