Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
34 weeks pregnant and wbole body is itching

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

For the last week I've had severe itching from my head to toes its was so bad I went to the e.r because I heard I could have cholestasis but all my blood work came out fine...all they told me was take benedryl and use over the counter ointments which don't work at all. I was wondering if anyone had anything similar to this I can't stop scratching and its to the point where I'm hurting myself...I just feel like crying =(
found this info hope it helps! feel better!

It's not uncommon to feel itchy, particularly around your growing belly and breasts as your skin stretches to accommodate them. Hormonal changes may also be partly to blame.

Some pregnant women find that their palms and the soles of their feet get red and sometimes itchy. This common condition may be caused by an increase in estrogen. It usually disappears right after delivery.

You may also find that things that normally make you itchy — dry skin, eczema, food allergies — make you even itchier when you're pregnant. Finally, there are certain conditions that occur during pregnancy that may cause you to feel itchy

Avoid hot showers and baths, which can dry out your skin and make the itching worse. Use mild soap and be sure to rinse it off well and towel off lightly. Then slather on an unscented moisturizer — some scents can cause irritation.

Try an occasional warm oatmeal bath. (You can buy oatmeal bath preparations in drugstores.) Wear loose cotton clothing and avoid going out in the heat of the day, since heat can intensify the itching.
Could be PUPPP which is a pregnancy induced rash. Horrible thing. Only thing you can do is try to make it one day at a time. I tried everything to make the itching go away (was even given steroid cream) and nothing helped. I am so sorry you are going through this. :(
Avatar n tn
Dear Mandy

I am glad that you had your itching checked out and that so far your blood results are normal. Many women do itch in pregnancy and it is harmless. As you rightly say, it can also be a sign of cholestasis or obstetric cholestasis to be specific, where research has also shown that sometimes women can itch for some time before their bile acids levels become elevated (one of the tests that can confirm obstetric cholestasis - OC). So if you continue to itch please go back to your doctor and ask for a liver function test and bile acid test (both blood tests).  The reason that it is important that you continue to be checked is because of the small risk to the baby from OC. You can find a lot of information that may help you at www.ocsupport.org.uk where there is also an excellent forum where you can talk to other women who have experience of the condition.

Good luck!

Jenny Chambers OC Support UK
Hollus commented on photo
50 mins ago
Hollus commented on photo
57 mins ago
Hollus commented on mhv's status
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy