Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Ambien while Pregnant...

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Ambien while Pregnant...

Ive heard  different opinions about taking the sleeping pill ambien while pregnant...is it safe?
It is a sedative which is unknown how it will effect the fetus. The concern is that it will sedate the baby too much and they could stop breathing and die. There is no scientific proof either way last time I checked. But is it worth it to you to risk it?  Always ask your dr too
I know a few people who get put on it durin pregnancy. You would need to speak to your doctor about it and see what they suggest. (I believe you need a script for it anyways) they might want you to try other things first.
As the other ladies say, talk to your doctor.  There are safe medications that can be taken to aide sleep during pregnancy.
Avatar n tn
what other safe sleep aides are there? my normal doctor said no but my OBGYN said up to 10 mg is safe...but she didnt specify if it was safe daily...she also said no to unisom daily...
I took Ambien for a few weeks during my last pregnancy.  I was having contractions for 3 weeks and never went into labor.  They wanted me to be able to rest and sleep so I would be prepared for when it did happen.  (It never did, as I was induced.)  I don't know if I would take for a long period of time.  I was taking it about every other day for 2 weeks or so.  My daughter is here and will be turning two this week.  
As the others have said, talk to your doctor. I believe it may be considered safe after the first trimester. I had asked my psychiatrist to prescribe something for sleep before I got pregnant and he wouldn't because we were trying to get pregnant. The problem with most meds is there isn't enough data to show if they are/aren't safe during pregnancy since performing controlled research on pregnant women isn't exactly ethical; therefore, most recommendations come from limited data.
Oops, meant to direct the previous response to the original person asking the question :)
BTW, I would go with your OB's opinion.
Hi I personally take 10mg of ambien, not on a daily basis maybe once or twice a week sometimes more if needed. I am 26 weeks pregnant and my ob assured me that ambien was fine to take during pregnancy as long as it was not abused such as taking more than one a day ect....... To each their own though hope this helps!
KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
KeeLolo commented on Shannon79's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy