Any advice how to stay on my side while sleeping?
I know I should be sleeping on my left...I have a hard time but I can usually fall asleep on my right side.  I usually wake up several times a night on my back though and I know that back sleeping is not good especially once you pass 20 w...Anyone have any suggestions to help me stay on my left?  I was considering a pregnancy pillow I saw online at babyfit...has anyone used one of these?  I don't want to waste my money if it isn't going to do the job.
I just used two pillows... one on each side.... but to tell u the truth it never worked with me, id always end up on my back, my doc told me that if the extra weight was hurting me(laying on my back) i'd wake up before any real damage was done so i stopped worrying about it.
My cousin told me the same thing about the doctor saying you'd wake up...I've tried one pillow...maybe I'll try two...but I guess it might not be as big of a deal as I thought...
Well im a tummy person and let me tell you i REALLY miss sleeping on my tummy. It took me a long time to get used to sleeping on my side. But now its just how i sleep. I toss and turn through out the night to both my right and my left side, but most times i wake up on my left side. But i just use a bare pillow and make sure that it is nice and cold and stick it under my tummy and fall asleep. But i still toss and turn even when i put another pillow on the other side so i stay on my left. I dont even know if i am making any sense. Im just waking up. LOL.
Yeah when i was preg with my first i was worried about that too and all the girls on here and my doc told me not to worry too much.
I slept on my tummy almost the whole time. What my doctor said was that I wouldn't crush the baby because she is so cushioned in there and that basically to sleep whichever way was most comfortable. When sleeping on your back you'll wake up if something goes wrong. Sometimes my breathing would become shallow and I'd wake up right away and just roll over.
I think sometimes we get so worried we want to do everything by the text book. From what my mother and aunts say, they did a lot of things that were not text book and still had a bunch of kids. I was 19 with my first(didnt have a clue about pregancy) i slept on my back and stomache, son is 13 now.

But try the 2 pillows or a body pillow

I wouldn't worry.  If you are comfortable sleeping on your back, keep doing it.  Your body will tell you what it needs to do.

I am 32 weeks pregnant now and still find that sleeping on my back is comfortable - though i do toss and turn quite a bit.

Body pillow definitley helps! i do catch myself on my back from time to time as long as its not for long periods of time it should be ok.
I used 2 pillows at first but the pillow I put between my legs would never stay put.  So I have a big preggo pillow an I love mine.  I put a pillow behind my back an use the preggo pillow.  Its money well spent.  You can go on www.craigslist.com and post a ad saying that your seeking a pregnancy pillow.  Thats how I got mine.  It was new, never used.  It cost 50 or more in a store but I only paid 20.   Try ebay too.  Anita
i have the same problem.  i barely ever sleep on my left side.  the doctor said that sleeping on your right is fine, left is preferable but it is not a big deal.  my fiance bought me one of those pregnancy pillows at burlington coat factory for only $40, it works good.  although i same as you still wake up on my back sometimes since i am a back sleeper.  i would not worry too much.  the doctor just said that when i find myself on my back just to turn over.
I am having problems sleeping on either side b/c my hips are KILLING me......I end up on my back...I asked my OB and she pretty much said that same that the girls said.....If it's causing any harm, you'll automatically shift yourself.....I bought one of those pregnancy pillows for $100 (UGH) and I HATED it....I know that some people have luck with them but it jacked my head up too high and made my neck hurt...I had heard that the body pillows work a little better!
I still wake up (27 weeks) on my back during the middle of the night.... I am a back sleeper and its normal for me to gravitate that way.... The pillow thing did not help me.... My dr said I can sleep on my back as long as its comfortable for me and my body will let me know when i need to roll over! I do try and fall asleep on my sides (UGH but my hips are KILLING ME) but some how always end up on my back!
When I first found out I was pregnant I could not stay on my left side for the life of me! I am tummy sleeper so I would always find myself waking up on my stomach, roll over, and wake up again on my stomach. Then I bought myself a body pillow which has done wonders for me! I love my body pillow! I still find myself waking up on my back sometimes, but I just love back over to my left side. Occasionally I find myself on my right side, but it's not a big deal. They the left side is ideal because it offers the most blood flow and best circulation. But I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Well, I kind of skipped through everyone's replies cause i'm just wanting to post.  

You don't only have to sleep on your left side.  You can sleep on either,  left side just has the best blood circulation because your heart.  But I am a pure back sleep, can't stand to be on my sides, because it kills my back, and hurts unbearably.  So my doctor told me, that it was fine to be on your back.  BUT to prop yourself into a angle, so your not flat on your back!  Like if you were to flip a recliner out and you have your legs up, and back at a 90 degree angle or so.  

But if your baby and uterus are crushing your veins to your heart, oh you'll know!  You'll wake up gasping for air!  And it's really once you hit 28 weeks is when they really want you to try everything to be on your sides.  

I have a big pregnancy body pillow, and tht thing SU CKS!!!  I swear.  I end up on my back regardless.  And just in a funny position with the pillow...lol  

I sleep on my tummy, when I'm not preggo, an that was a hard habbit to break.  My midwife an dr told me that if you find your self rolling onto your back while you sleep you can put a pillow behind you.  So if you fall asleep on your left side an the pillow is behind you... you will not be laying flat on your back.  You would be at a angle.  I use my pregnancy pillow an a pillow behind me.  My hips hurt at night too so it really helps me.  It takes the pressure off my hips an back.  Anita

** I use my preggo pillow too.**

I have tried everything!!

I am a back sleeper and always wake up on my back.. I am 35 weeks.. You really cant control what you do while you are sleeping!

Good luck.. I barely sleep anyway.. Toss and turn constantly and get up at least 2-3 times per night to pee these days.. Fun, fun! =D
HAHAHA Ashie~ I think she got you post! LOL
my computer died on me, I didn't even post it, lmao

oooooops lol
i go back and forth on my sides adn sometimes wake up on my back - I bought the "WEDGE" by Boppy this weekend for $16 at Babies R Us - it is great b/c it is small and pads your belly just enough.

I am a bonified side sleeper. The only way I can sleep on my back is to put a pillow under my thighs. If I even lay on my stomach I feel like my chest is caving in, and that I'm going to die. The baby doesn't like it when I sleep on my left side. She moves around all night like she's trying to get comfy too.  I finally lay on the right and we both fall asleep.