Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Asthma while prego

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Asthma while prego

Has anyone taken their albuterol inhaler thru out ur pregnancy??? I'm a bit worried if it is safe for my baby! I been taking it since it's the only thing I can take when I can't breath. I just need some re assurance that it is safe & wondering if any1 else pregnant & taking albuterol inhaler.
I am 18 weeks and have asthma, I have had it my whole life,  I am one of those who was born with it and didn't grow out of it. I take my albuterol inhaler a couple times a day. My OB/GYN also put me on flovent cause the steriod I was on before I was pregnant hadn't been tested on pregnant women and she wanted to be safe. My OB said that is safe to use both the albuterol and my flovent, especially because it causes more damage when you deprive the baby of oxygen. If I were you I would talk to your OB if your asthma gets worse or the albuterol isn't working well enough. My OB also told me that albuterol doesn't harm the baby all it does is help me breath. Sorry this was so long. I hope this helps you. How far along are you?
I'm not sure if it is or not. I have asthma as well and never used my inhaler while pregnant. If your in doubt, call your doctor and/or a pharmacy and they should be able to tell you.
I was diagnoses with new onset asthma at 18weeks pregnant and they prescribed me albuterol and I've asked my dr a dozen times is it safe and she says that it will just help me breathe and have no negative affect on the baby
I just got sent to a lung specialist because my asthma has been getting out of control lately, and I was worried about the baby.  Even the specialist says that albuterol is okay, and that yes it is always better for us moms to breathe because the little ones need oxygen, so if that's what's working take it when you need it.

I was taking albuterol in a nebulizer machine a minimum of 4-5 times a day..he switched me over to a new nebulizer med called Xopenex, that he says will have less effect on the baby and I actually think it works better.  But he told me to keep my rescue inhaler just in case, and use it if I needed it too.
Thank you for all ur responses! I am seeing an asthma specialist but u know sometimes we just need some other input. Ppl who are goin thru the same thing. I am overly worried about everything I intake while I'm prego! Call me a worried freak! LoL my BF says I'm paranoid! I am 22wks :) & all I been taking is my albuterol inhaler! My asthma doctor perscribed me some kind of steroid. But I haven't taken it cuz I feel I don't need it but he said as long as I have it on hand. I'm scared to take the steroid meds! My inhaler helps me so that's good :) the bigger I get I am noticing I need my inhaler more! I take it like 3 times a day. Especially because I live in Hawaii & the weather here is awful like vog & sugar cane smoke! But thank you for the re assurance =)
I actually had an asthma attack at about 7 weeks... My mom actually ended up taking me to the ER.   The Drs there told me it was completely find to take my inhalers that they won't hurt the baby... mind you he told me infront of my mother, who didn't know I was pregnant yet.   That was interesting.  
RippedonScotch Wow! That must have been an akward moment! LoL how did ur mom take the news? I'm glad to hear other girls are taking their inhaler. & I hope you don't have anymore attacks! Good luck w/ ur pregnancy
Marlann is ... freaking out Comment
8 mins ago
hansen20, KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on renae176's status
42 mins ago
KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
43 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy