Baby's First Vaccinations
I am having an issue with my son that I think may be linked to his first vaccinations he received this past Monday. He is currently just about 10 weeks old and last week we switched him to level 2 nipples because it was taking him 45 minutes to drink a bottle. We decided to try the level 2 and he did well on them and has been using for almost 2 weeks. My son does spit up a lot but I am not sure if his recent increase in spitting up is linked to the new nipple or his first vaccinations. We did not notice any difference in his spitting up the first week we tried the new nipple but we did notice a change after his first vaccinations. Anyway, he seems to spitting up a good portion of his bottle after each bottle but not all at once. He will spit up, be fine and play and then spit up again, etc. I have also noticed a difference in the consistency of his spit up. It now looks like curdled milk rather than just a little formula coming out like before. Does anyone have any insight on this that could possibly offer some experience? I am confused because I don't really know which of the two things could be causing this change. He did run a little fever after the vaccinations and has been a little crankier than usual. Anyway, any help would be great.
Spit up looks like curdled milk or cottage cheese. It's a normal part of babyhood and probably has nothing to do with the vaccines or nipples. A fever and crankiness after vaccines is normal as well.
Its so normal for babies to run a fever after vacciations! nexts time make sure you give him some tylenol an hour before his appt., it will help!

Try to not feeding your baby too much at the time,  or feeding his in an upright position may help. The curdling spit up means that the milk is seating in his tummy.
Oh, and wait to let him "play" (he's still too young for tummy time) because pressure on his tummy or being bounced around will cause him to spitup.
I do normally feed him in an upright position and wait a half an hour before letting him play. My concern is that his spitup looks much differently than it usually does and the amount of spitup has greatly increased. He is spitting up whether playing or sitting still and relaxing. This is a change in how he normally is. My doctor told me tummy time was fine as soon as his cord fell off and he has done really well with it so I don't think it has to do with that at all. My main concern is the appearance and amount are vastly different than they were previously.
I have heard that when a baby spit up curdle milk that they might of devp. reflux. I would call and ask his dr.
I dont know if it would be linked but the stuff in vaccines is too intense for a baby that young immune system.  I understand that a lot of parents vaccinate their children but i know i wont until hes a year old and can handle it better.  but then im not a conventional parent/person and i wont be giving my child foreign substances that are not natural to be put in the body.  So again im not sure if its linked but i understand your concern.
Well you can always tell his doctor your concerns... it sounds like it may be some sort of reflux. Does it smell really funky, too? Def. talk to the doc!
It does smell funky. I was thinking it could be some reflux as well. I will definitely call his doctor tomorrow and see what they think.

Star_girl:
I too had concerns about vaccinating but talked to my pediatrician about it. My son's pediatrician was actually my pediatrician and I trust him very much. He explained that only the vaccines that are live attenuated virus (such as MMR) could possibly have bad effects and even that hasn't been proven. He was just part of a huge Brown Univ. forum that discussed this. Also, the vaccines used to contain thimerisol (mercury) and that was the concern but since they are no longer using thimerisol there isn't a concern. He did tell me that if I feel better waiting until he is 18 months old to give the MMR than he has no problem with that. He said a lot of parents do this so they can see that there child has developed normally.
My son is the same way. My doctor put him on a little rice cereal in his bottle with a Y cut nipple and it corrected the problem. I would not do it unless your doctor reccomends it but my little man had a slight case of acid reflux... Otherwise it is just a normal part of babyhood and the spit up will be curdled looking anyways!