Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Bathing after delivery

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Bathing after delivery

I was just wondering what the rules are for bathing after delivery.  A lot of the stuff I see on the internet contradicts each other....  Also please inform me about the Epsom salts...

Thanks!
epsom salt warm bath is great for sore joints and muscles, also the magnesium in the salts helps prevent early labor and there's some benefits for the baby too but I forget what they are.

I think that you are not supossed to expose your vagina (which may be open/raw and succeptible to infection, in the first 6 weeks post delivery, that includes sex.
I was able to take a shower the day after I had my son, I would have been able to do it the day of but I didn't have feeling back in my legs from the epidural so it wasn't safe yet.
Not sure about the epsom salts after delivery though.
Umm, I was in the shower about 45 minutes - hour after Jaxson was delivered, and I only waited b.c I had no choice. I had to wait for the epidural to wear off.. I felt disgusting. I didn't ask though and when the nurse came back in the room, I had already locked myself in the bathroom and started the shower.. She knocked on the door to try and help me or see if I wanted a chair, but I just wanted to get clean..  BY MYSELF!! =)

I didn't realize there were policies on this sort of thing? I held Jaxson as soon as I could, which was before my shower, but not right away. He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice and was distressed when delivered.. They cleaned him up, stabalized him, and I held him.. They took him a bit later and that is when I darted to the shower! =)

That's just me though..
Oh, and if you mean taking a bath. As in a bath tub, I have no idea. I am not into baths. =)

I probably just told that whole other story for no reason since I now think you were inquiring about baths! =)   OOOPS!
i wasn't allowed to shower until the next day. and i PLEADED with my docs and nurses to PLEASE let me shower. they said....nope. i was told i could bath 4-6 weeks after.
I showered immediately after each birth (after holding baby, of course).   Like Laura's, my nurses were eager to help, which in one case was appreciated because I was too exhasuted to stand, let alone wash myself. = )

After going home (the next day), I started taking baths immediately.  As long as your tub is clean and you are careful not to fall, etc., I think its fine.  I could never give up my baths!  And I've never had any problems.
You can shower anytime after birth.

But you should wait 4-6 weeks after a vaginal delivery to take a bath unless your doctor says you're good to do so! The reason being that bacteria can be introduced to your vagina and cause some major problems. However some women need to take "sitz baths" but I'm not sure if that's the same as taking a bath in a tub.
I did have to do sitz baths after giving birth, it was the only way to painlessly cleanse the episiotomy.
I would think it would be a little different than a regular bath though. It is a little tub that you rest on your toilet and you hold a bag of fresh water that has a tube connecting into the sitz bath, the fresh water flows in and the dirty water flows into the toilet. You are instructed to clean the sitz bath after each use so there is less risk of infection.

Regular baths in your tub are a little dirtier, you are sitting in your own germs rather than having a constant flow of clean water and it is harder to get a bathtub completely clean.
hmmmm... interesting.  Perhaps I'll ask my doctor when I get in to see him.

Thanks!
I did ask this question to all of my doctors and nurses to get all opinions and all said a bath is fine!  thank goodness!  it helped out down there so much.  i took a bath every single day for two weeks until my stitched up area felt better.  never asked about the salts though.
I should clarify it was a vaginal birth.  didnt mean stitched up area as in c section.
dizzy_lizzy12345 uploaded a new photo
Hollus commented on renae176's status
Hollus commented on laureninlove's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy