Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Benefiber while pregnant????

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Benefiber while pregnant????

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is safe to still put Benefiber in my drink while pregnant? I occasionally get constipated and it is the most uncomfortable feeling in the world, lol. With my first pregnancy I became so constipated at the end and it caused trouble during labor. I called my doctor a few weeks before my due date and the nurse said I could not take anything, well she was wrong. When I went into labor my doctor asked me why I didn't tell him that I had been constipated for 2 weeks and I told him what the nurse had said. He was not happy with her to say the least. I know not to ask the nurse anything now!!! Does anyone have any other remedies for constipation? I am hoping there is something I can do so I do not have the same problem with this pregnancy as I did in my first. I am 4 weeks pregnant now and the constipation is starting. Not fun!!!! :(
My doctor told me to use Metamucil, and honestly I have no clue what the difference between the two are.
Thank you!!! I dont know what the difference is either, lol.
Avatar n tn
I have the same problem, and it's awful, i drink 2 glasses of metamucil (reccomended by my gyn) and also 3 colace tablets throughout the day (2 with prenatal pill after lunch) and one before bed.  So far its going okay, not perfect but tolerable.
I have been using benefiber and it has seem to work. My doc. said as long as I increase the fiber intake, I should be fine. It is help some!!!
My doc told me I could use Benefiber.
Avatar n tn
Hello Ladies,

I am a Registered Dietitian and work for the Food and Drug Administration.   I am pregnant myself and suffering from awful constipation.  It has been challenging to deal with but here is some advice.  
1. OTC drugs such as stool softners, laxatives, and suppositories have not been tested on pregnant women.  It is known that any drug can be absorbed by Baby when taken.  I personally did not know they weren't tested on pregnant women, and as soon as I found out stopped.  Last thing I want is to hurt Baby.
2. Benefiber is safe.  It is considered a food.
3. Options such as FiberOne Cereal, Oatmeal and Nutrigrain waffles are all easy and tasty ways to get that fiber in.   Your goal should be to eat 20- 30 grams of fiber per day.BE CAREFUL.  Gradually increase your fiber intake daily.  It may take you 2 weeks to get to 20 grams.  If you don't take it slow and give LOTS of water, your constipation will get worse!  Fiber acts like a sponge....backing you up even more without LOTs of water.  

Exercise often, every 2 hours move around, walk, jog, swim, stairs, whatever you can do....

Hope this helps!
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
KeeLolo commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy