Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Birds and Pregnancy

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Birds and Pregnancy

Was just wondering if there is any potential risk in my pregnancy for owning tropical parrots.  They have their own room and the door is kept closed most of the time except for feeding.  I do not feed or clean their cages at all.  My husband does it.  I've noticed that if he goes a couple of weeks without cleaning their cages, moths hatch and fly around in their room.  The air vents into their room, but it does not suck air from their room to the rest of the house.  Could you please let me know if you see any potential hazard with this?
Yes I want to know this too.  I have a Peach Faced Love Bird and I actually do the cleaning and feeding.  I didn't clean it while I was pregnant last time but I did feed it and I did miscarry at 11 weeks.  I would like to know if it is safe as well since we might be pregnant again.  Thanks for asking this important ? Becca
Avatar n tn
It is perfectly safe to handle parrots as well as do the regular feeding and  cleaning for them.  I was quite shocked to hear that [Becca825] the cages aren't cleaned for weeks at a time!  They should be changed at LEAST every few days; less means more opportunity for bacteria and other nasties to multiply and I don't think THAT is healthy for a pregnancy or anyone for that matter.  Especially for the birds.  As for all seed eating parrots, if you cannot easily convert them to a  pelleted diet (which is much more healthy and prevents moth problems), you should put the bag of seeds in the freezer -- it will kill off the moth eggs and prevent moth problems.  

For all who own parrots -- PLEASE do not get rid of them just because of pregnancy.  It is only a matter of washing your hands frequently (as you should be doing anyway), regular cleaning and healthy feeding as well as maintaining a healthy lifestyle for both you AND your bird!!  

***@****
Kind of off the topic of pregnancy (though good to ask relating to later in life) But othjer than the bird seed in the freezer, how do you get rid of the moths? I hate them.
I was wondering this too.  I have a cockatiel named Allison.  Shes my baby so its good to know that having her dose not hurt any thing.  

Are birds safe around babies?    Anita
You need to keep the seed in an air tight container, moths are sneaky little devils and can get into almost everything. Once they are in your house they will find their way into any food item so make sure everything is in an air tight container, my mom has a HUGE moth problem so I know all about this. Sometimes the moths come from the store so you need to be careful about where you purchase stuff.
hansen20 19 days to go! Comment
hansen20 commented on photo
KTowne commented on hansen20's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy