Can an Ovarian cyst cause a false positive?
Some background: My doc recently switched me to Micronor due to swelling in my leg - she wanted to try a non-estrogen birth control. Within a few days, I started to develop stabbing pain in my left lower abdominal quadrant that continued on for 3 weeks. I contacted my doctor, and she asked me to ride it out. After a month of pain, I got in to the doctor and subsequently went in for an ultrasound on 5/28. I received a call on 5/30 saying I had a 4" ovarian cyst on my left ovary, smaller cysts developing on the right, and to discontinue the Micronor. She put in a new RX for me for a low-dose estrogen oral contraceptive, and told me to do a Sunday start after the end of my next period (which should have been 6/22)

In the meanwhile, my fiancee and I have had 2 encounters - one on 5/31 that involved brief penetration without a condom, and then again a few weeks later that involved ejaculation after foreplay, but again, not inside the vagina.

I have had cramps and stomach pain since going off of the Micronor on 5/30, but they are mild - sort of like my pre-menstrual cramps that signal I'm going to start in a few days. My start date according to my old birth control ( I was on ortho evra for 4  years, so it was like clockwork) was 6/15. As of today - 6/21 - I still have not started my period. However, I have been cramping all week as though I were just about to begin my cycle.

Out of sheer neuroticism, I bought a two-pack of generic pregnancy tests. Both came back with a faint positive. I went and bought a two-pack of EPT pregnancy tests, and those came back with faint positives as well. I am going to followup with my PCP as soon as possible, but the quickest she can get me in is 6/30, and being as neurotic as I am, I can't wait that long. I'm still cramping in a way consistent with my usual period.

My question is - can an ovarian cyst cause a false positive? Also - what are the chances that if I am pregnant, it's ectopic, having just come off of the Micronor which apparently causes ectopic pregnancies?

Any advice would help.
Pregnancy test. A positive pregnancy test may suggest that your cyst is a corpus luteum cyst, which can develop when the ruptured follicle that released your egg reseals and fills with fluid.

^I got that off a website.. From what I read the only way you can get a false positive from a cyst is if it is a corpus luteum.  

The incidence of ectopic pregnancies for progestin-only oral contraceptive users is 5 per 1000 woman- years. Up to 10% of pregnancies reported in clinical studies of progestin-only oral contraceptive users are extrauterine. Although symptoms of ectopic pregnancy should be watched for, a history of ectopic pregnancy need not be considered a contraindication to use of this contraceptive method. Healthcare professionals should be alert to the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy in women who become pregnant or complain of lower abdominal pain while on progestin-only oral contraceptives.

^^ found that too.. Hope this information helps since I dont know much about any of the questions you have but I figured I would look them up for you and try to help.. Looks like chance of an eptopic on Micronor is about 10% or 5 in 1000