Can an ultrasound miss a pregnancy?
I went in for an ultrasound thinking I was 8 weeks pregnant but no baby was seen. I didn't tell the doctor I suspected I was pregnant so they just said everything was normal. Could I still be pregnant?
They would see a baby at 8 weeks. But its possible that they didn't go low enough. What were you getting an ultrasound for?
It was a pelvic ultrasound. I requested one because I've been have every pregnancy symptom in the book for the last few weeks.
were they looking for a baby?

No...does this mean they could miss it?
Yes it does. They couldnt find my baby for about 40 seconds he was way down low, the sacs like to dig right in deep.

If you have done a pregnancy test and this is positive i would see your dr and arrange a dating scan.

You should get a pregnancy test done first.

Good luck

Gemx
If you requested one because of pregnancy symptoms, I would imagine they were looking for pregnancy. Have you tested at all?
I didn't do a test. My doctor wrote it off as PMS and said she didn't know what was wrong with me. After she got sonogram, she said everything was normal.
It shouldn't be missed, but it IS possible. A friend was also 8 weeks pregnant and it was missed in the US. I think it was a shotty US by the doctor but there was most certainly a baby in there.
I might add this doctor didn't even know SHE was pregnant until 22 weeks, so my guess it was Doctor error
If you didn't take a pregnancy test what made you think you were 8 wks pregnant??  They may have needed to do a transvaginal ultrasound to detect a pregnancy, especially if you could have ovulated late and be off on your dates.  
If you didn't take a pregnancy test what made you think you were 8 wks pregnant?  It's possible they may not have seen a pregnancy that early if they weren't looking for one.  You could be off on your dates and not be as far along as you thought in which case they would have needed to do a transvaginal ultrasound to see a gestational sac.
Good luck!  
I think I'm pregnant because of all the pregnancy symptoms I've had. Based on the date of my last normal period, it would be 8 weeks.
Normal period? Even if you are having abnormal periods that doesn't indicate pregnancy. Infact it indicates the opposite. Also you can't base pregnancy on symptoms since one person can have every symptom in the book and not be pregnant or have no symptoms and be pregnant. If you were pregnant you would show up on a pregnancy test. Also if you're doctor did a pelvic ultrasound and were looking in that area I'm pretty sure they would have checked for pregnancy just to be sure. You would only need an internal this early for measurements not to see the uterus thickening and a sac.
My uterus is 17 mm. Is that thick?
If you really were 8 wks, it's unlikely though not impossible that it was "missed".  Seriously, the best thing would be to take a HPT.  They are very accurate.  Then you would know for sure if your pregnant, or not.
This is silly why would you have an ultrasound done when you could just pee on a stick and know. No ultrasounds don't usually miss pregnancy and symptoms are not a good indication of pregnancy. You should really take a home pregnancy test
I didn't do a test because if I got a negative, I would wonder if it was a false negative since they are pretty common. I was more comfortable getting the ultrasound.
At 8 weeks it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely you're going to get an inaccurate answer. False negatives are common in the early stages of pregnancy. Not 8 weeks along. It's rare that women don't show on pregnancy tests. Otherwise they wouldn't market them. You're confusing me slightly though. You say you wanted an ultrasound because you suspect pregnancy, but then you say they're not looking for a baby. What exactly did you have done then?
I dont understand why you wouldn't tell your doctor you thought you were pregnant. Why would you go through the trouble of an ultrasound and not say anything to your doctor. THis doesn't make sense to me.
this doesnt soud right at 8 weeks a pregnacy test will detect if your pregnant if you are that worried if you are pregnant or not go to your gp and say you think you may be pregnant and then book a private scan the baby at 8 weeks would be big enought to see
I was having the same problems you can have low hcg levels and get a negative pregnancy test I did which is why I didnt know I was pregnant. They also missed the baby too he was being carried in the very back which is why they couldn't find my baby. iot can happen.
If you really don't trust home pregnancy tests, go to your doctor and request a blood test...it does sound kinda odd that you'd go through the trouble of getting an ultrasound and not tell the doc he/she should be looking for a baby. If the doc were looking for it, by 8 weeks they should be able to see the baby.

But home pregnancy tests usually can pick up a pregnancy at 8 weeks...I had two come up positive pretty quickly at 4 and a half weeks. The digital ones are pretty clear, tell you a definite yes or no. And it's different for every woman, but I had more pregnancy symptoms when I just thought I might be pregnant and when my period was about to start, than I did when I was actually pregnant.