Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Can anti-depressants hurt my unborn baby?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My doctor put me on antidepressants but I read on the internet they're not good to take while pregnant because they can cause the baby to be slow and lazy, mentally. So I haven't been taking them. I had to see a neurologist today because of horrible migraines and he said the anti-depressant (it's celexa by the way) could help with my horrible migraines and I reallly should be taking them for my depression any way. He said my baby is already developed and it should be fine but on the internet it said the problems occur in the baby during the last trimaster. I am 5 months already. Can they really harm my baby? What exactly could it do? Is it alright if I take it? Should I not worry about it? I really need help with this I have come to a point where it's hard for me to trust anyone after the death of my son when all the doctors and nurses kept saying he was fine and he died then they told us he had a 40% chance of living anyway. I think anyone would be able to see why i have a hard time trusting anyone any more.
No one can ever for sure tell you things will be okay in a 100% normal situation. However on the subject of anti depressants. I took them with my first daughter and I'm taking them again with my second daughter. First time I took zoloft, this time I am taking Lexapro which is almost identical to celexa. Studies show it is worse for a mother to be depressed while pregnant than to actually take the pills. I wouldn't worry. Take your meds.
my docotor said i couldn't take my antidepressants until the 2nd trimester so if your in your second it should be ok to resume them.
I think you have to make a choice- is it worth having the migraines and depression for a few months longer for baby's sake? Or is it worth it for you to feel functional and happy?

You could always research other anti-depressants to find one that is more safe, though most all of them carry some risk.
Celexa is a Class C drug which means that it does not harm the fetus of animals but no studies have been conducted in humans.  Class C drugs should be taken when the benefits outweigh the risks - it sounds like this is the case with you especially if two doctors are recommending this course of action.

As others have said, SSRIs are the most problematic to take in the 1st trimester - this is when possible birth defects might occur (again, no evidence to show that this happens).  If Celexa is taken during the 3rd trimester in high doses, baby might experience some withdrawal symptoms for 1-2 days after birth and may be tired, not suckle well, be fussy, etc. - baby will be fine a few days later and these effects are NOT perminant (what you read regarding baby being slow and lazy likely refers to this temporary withdrawal process).

Also, bear in mind that both pain and emotional distress (depression, anxiety etc) can have an effect on baby and result in complications and pre-term birth.  So, this is where the benefits vs. outweigh the risks arguments come into play.

I think you should make an appointment with your OBGYN and discuss this issue with her/him.  I understand your fears but your doctor knows best in this case (years of training) - ask for literature and what the risks are if you DONT take the medication and if you DO take the medication.

Also - if you have been on Celexa for more than 4 weeks you must NEVER, EVER stop taking it abruptly as this can lead to life-threatening complications (seizure for example).  If you decide to stop, you will need an appropriate tappering regime.
Thank you for your replys. I think maybe I should take them. I know that stress is very harmful for the baby and the stress is a big part of my problem. I have an appointment Friday and I guess all I need to know now is if it's okay to just start the meds in the middle of my pregnancy. I will talk to her about that. Thank you all.
hansen20 does BBT stay up until peri... Comment
1 hr ago
hansen20 commented on photo
1 hr ago
Shannon79 commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy