Cervical Dilation and Effacement
I have been dilated at a 2cm for the last 2weeks. (I am 38w) L&D nurse said I was still "hard" and the baby was still high but I have def. dropped?  So Im guessing Hard means I have not effaced yet? How can I be dilated to a 2 and not effaced? This is my 3rd pregnancy, so I would think things would happen sooner...Is effacing harder then dilating? How can I help myself efface? Also can one dilate more with out effacing? I always thought you started to soften and that helps you dilated?? UGH, Im so lost right now~ LOL Anyways I am being induce next wed. (St. pattys day) if baby doesnt come on his own, I would like for him to come on his own.....Since my last appt last Wed up intill Monday, I have been Bding with Dh 3times a day and that is not even helping.... Any Ideas??
Dilation is the width that the cervix is open. Dilation can begin before labor actually starts, or in early labor, and is measured in centimeters. For most deliveries, the cervix needs to dilate from zero (not dilated at all) to 10 centimeters (fully dilated) before pushing can begin and the baby delivered. This range is based on the fact that a full-term baby's head is about 10 centimeters across.

Effacement is the shortening, or thinning, of the cervix. Like dilation, it begins before or during early labor. Before effacement takes place, the cervix is like a long bottleneck, usually about 4 centimeters in length. As effacement takes place, the cervix then shortens, or effaces, pulling up into the uterus and becoming part of the lower uterine wall. Effacement may be measured in percentages, from zero percent (not effaced at all) to 100 percent, which describes a paper-thin cervix.

I googled and found that.  Hope it helps.  Unfortunately you can't always count on the subsequent pregnancy and going into labor sooner.  With my last one, it was my 5th full term pregnancy...3 out of the first 4 came 4 days to 2 1/2 weeks before their due dates.....this LAST one..he was stubborn.  The day before I was due i wasn't even a full cm dialated and just beginning to efface.  I was induced on my due date.  Just remember, regardless of the method, the end result is to have that baby in your arms and by St. Pattys day you'll have that :)
Thanks, I have just always effaced and dilated at the same time, but then I have never got pass being 1-1.5cm on my own.... I guess I just find it weird I havent effaced yet....