Cleaning Cat litter while pregnant
My husband will be away for few days and I have to clean the cats litter box. I was researching on the internet about this and it says pregnant women should avoid doing this because of getting Toxoplasmosis. Is ok if I clean the litter?
Since your husband will be away, I would use disposable gloves and just make sure I wash my hands VERY well after. Also, if your cats are indoors only, chances are low that they carry toxoplasmosis. At least that's what I've heard.
IVE HEARD THAT IF YOU HAVE LIVED WITH THE CATS FOR A WHILE THEN YOUR BODY BECOMES IMMUNE TO IT AND CHANCES ARE LOW THAT ANYTHING WILL HAPPEN
I was also told if it's an indoor cat you dont' need to worry.  But of course you'd still wanna wash up good afterwards.  I changed ours when I was pregnant with both of my kids and everything was fine.
I would hold your breath or wear a mask.  The bacteria is airborne.  It at all possible I would just wait until your husband gets back.  I have a cat that has been indoor since 6 months old, but I dont know if she has it.  I have been tested for it and was negative, so I have never been exposed.  I still just try my best not to go around the litter bin.
My doc said if your cat stays indoors it really isn't an issue. She also said the cat pretty much has to eat or come into contact with an animal that has it, like a bird. If it's an outdoor cat, wear some gloves and maybe one of those masks.
Can I please ask who told you the bacteria for toxo was airborn as i have been told by the centre for diesese control that toxo cannot be passed airborn but only through direct contact of the cat poo and my mouth, hence the need for gloves and a mask when cleaning. I have looked into this a lot as I work at a animal sheltar and would be pleased for all info. I have stopped handling cats since my pregnancy began.

Please note that the bacteria takes 24 hours to form occysts which pass the toxo to us, so prehaps rather than leave it you should get a neighbour or family member to come and clean the tray.
having just writen that i went away and looked on the internet and found that toxo could become airborn if the cat moves the poo around so a mask is esential... gosh im just so confused...
Don't do it! Do not clean the cat litter. It is dangerous for the baby.