Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Confusing Ultrasound

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Confusing Ultrasound

Hello. I found out I was pregnant a while back and went for an early pregnancy scan on the 1st October, the sonographer told me after he had looked at my womb and baby etc (strong heart beat and saw the baby really clear ;-) ) that it was 6 weeks and 4 days gestation - is that the length of time of pregnancy and not fetal age?.
The reason I am very confused is that I conceived (without a doubt on 21st August and my period was on the 6th July but theres no way that they can count from then as it would be a physical impossibility) therefore when they do the scan do they add on 2 weeks? sorry if I seem thick its just baffling
Thanks!!
Gestational age is the time measured from the first day of the woman's last menstrual cycle to the current date. It is measured in weeks. A normal pregnancy can range from 38 to 42 weeks.

http://www.righthealth.com/Health/What%20Is%20Gestational%20Age-s?lid=goog-ads-sb-8536643334

hope this helps

Your dates are correct what they are saying is your baby is 6 weeks and 4 days.your ovulation day can vary.remember when you ovulate it takes time for egg to implant so it wont actually be day you ovulated.could be few days later egg implanted.so pregnancy wise your probabley 8 weeks + but baby measures at 6wk 4 days.this would be right time to hear a heartbeat.so dont worry.going by your last period this is right.
Just noticed your from uk like me,our scans are different from usa etc.your actual dateing scan wont be until your 12 weeks.that way when you get your scan paper results it will show you exactly what they mean.
Date of conception + 2 weeks is the gestational age of baby.  

Many women have a 4 week cycle and ovulate 2 weeks into it so gestational age is based on LMP but many other women ovulate outside this time frame in which case adding 2 weeks to conception date gives gestational age.
desderius, Shannon79, KeeLolo, hansen20, and Hollus commented on KeeLolo's status
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
KeeLolo commented on laureninlove's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy