Downs testing?
When is the Down syndrome test done? Did you do it? Or are you going to?

My first born I had it done and came back high. So I ended up going to the cities for testing. I waited and stressed for a month before finally getting to the appointment. Not sure it's worth it this time around
I didn't and won't because there are way too many false positives. Besides for me I would keep and love my baby just the same so for me it isn't an issue. If your first one came back high and was fine I would recommend not doing it because your likely to get similar results.
I told them they could do all those tests with my blood work but I wouldn't dare have them test the amniotic fluid... that's just me. I have friends and family that has done it with a terrible outcome.
I didn't with this one and I won't with any pregnancy. The false positive rate is way too high for me, not worth the stress of them saying the baby will have downs and then he'll be just fine when he's born.
I didn't get it done.. but they usually do it when ur about 21 weeks and won't do the test after 27 weeks.
I did it just because they saw extra fluid in his kidneys at 17 wks +6 but it came back negative I jus did the blood test one
They dont test your amniotic fluid thats a separate test called an amniocentesis. In the event your downs test comes up positive, they give you the option if you want it done. The initial downs test is just a more in depth sonogram to measure the skin on the back of the babys neck. Thick skin on the back of the neck and no nasal are signs of DS. I had the test done it does no harm to you or your baby. They do it at 12 weeks not 21....
Thanks.. You have confirmed me not to do it with this one. And pretty sure I had that test bout 15 weeks because I had to wait a month or so before getting in for the amniocentesis. They said something bout if I choose to end the pregnancy I would only have a week to decide before would be too late.. Clearly I did not and my baby is just fine. Turns 3 in couple weeks!! Thanks again
20wks
The reason why I said 21 weeks is because that's what they told me
My dr took blood yesterday for it. They didn't really ask if I wanted they were just like "this is what we're doing today" and told me about false positives and all that.
I had my downs test done at 13 weeks, had the results back after a week, came back as not high risk, this is done by blood tests xx
I wouldnt do it. There is no point in it bc they cant do anything about it if you do test high. My dr told me the only reason he sees in people doing it is bc then they have the choice in aborting if there is a problem. And he said even then the testing is only showing that there is a chance there is no def if the baby has it or not.
I didn't have it done because it didn't matter to me I want the baby either way.
For my first I did not&nor will I for my second. The reason why was because no matter what I was still going to love my child so why did I need to get a bunch of tests&some results that still may or may not be true.
I did b/c my baby had a thickened nuxhal fold at the 12 week ultrasound. The afp test said I had a 1 in 10,000 chance so I'm low risk. They don't give positive or negatives for chromosomal abnormalities. Yes I was beyond stressed for 4 weeks but I'm glad I did it b/c the baby had a soft marker for down syndrome. If my next child doesn't have soft markers idk if I will do it or not though.
Oh and its after 16 weeks
Ok they will do the nt scan at 12 weeks they will look at the nasal bone back of neck( nuchal fold) and something else. You can have an earlier and more invasive afp test done at 15 weeks but it's expensive and only reccomended if you're considering abortion. The other afp is done after 16 weeks and it checks for spinal bifida and chromosomal abnormalities. You will get a positive or negative for spins bifida and only what your chance is of delivering a baby with chromosomal abnormalities. If you're high risk you can have the amneotic (?) Test done which will give you a definite yes or no.