Eating Deli Meat in Pregnancy
I was just wondering what your doctors have said about this..............all web sites I have found when you do a search on foods to avoid during pregnancy it lists deli meat, or lunch meat, to stay away from because of a bacteria called listeria that could possibly cause a m/c.  My doctors office did not mention staying away from this---do you all know about this??  Thanks!
i live in NC and there was an outbreak of listeria (spelling) and 3 women had m/c and and another went into premature labor...my doc office advised me to avoid lunch meat or boil them before eating them (hmmm boil cold lunch meat)...

i eat at subway prob 3/5 days a week and have had no issues thus far but i will not by lunch meat at the grocery store for the fear of this
My doctor told me as long as you are getting the good stuff (i.e. Boar's Head Brand) than there is nothing to worry about at all. The chances of contracting the bacteria are slim whether pregnant or not. The only reason they say to be careful during pregnancy is because it could harm the fetus. Baiscally she told me "don't go eating any deli meat off of sketchy looking buffet line but if you eat Boar's Head Products or comparable from a good Super Market than you are all set." Also if you do go to a sandwich shop like Quizno's or Subway, make sure it is during a busy time (lunch or dinner) so that you know the meats are not sitting around all day. I personally have been craving turkey sandwiches constantly and eat them 3-4 times per week for lunch. Plus I have ordered lunch from Quizno's a couple times in the past month. Basically don't worry too much about it. You should be fine if you know where it's coming from. The main thing is to avoid the unpasteurized cheese like feta, etc.
Thank you both--that does help:)  I have been REALLY craving my Subway sandwhich I used to eat, but I have refrained in fear of this and I am now 13 weeks!  I usually get the cold cut trio...................so you think that would be fine?  We do usually buy Boar's Head also so that is good:)  I have been craving it soooooo badly so it has been hard!
I think you will just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I was just like you in that I didn't think I could go the whole pregnancy without eating it. Basically, if I don't eat turkey, I would barely eat lunch and to me not eating is worse for me. I ended up asking my doctor at my first appointment and she basically said everything I stated above. Even in general, Boar's Head is better for you pregnant or not, they don't use filler and they contain no cereals; basically all natural. And for the Subway, go and buy your cold cut trio and treat yourself for lunch!!! Now you have me wanting one!
LOL  Thanks a lot!  I am going to have my much need Subway today:)
Yeah I just went to the Dr. yesterday and she told me the same thing. If I wanted to eat it I would have to heat it up till it was steaming and then I could have it. Weird! I was never told that with my first child. So I guess Subway is out of the question! Ugh!!!