Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Evening Primrose Oil for softening and ripening the cervix?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about Evening Primrose Oil to help prepare the cervix for dilation and stuff. I know that some women use it when they are TTC. What exactly does it do? Is it safe for the baby? They say that it comes in tablets and you put 2-3 of them near the cervix and they dissolve. This helps thin the cervix and stuff. Can anyone give me any input on this?
I know a little bit.  With my first pregnancy, I took 2 per day of the pills towards the end of my pregnancy.  i was 12 days late and it did not thin anything on me.  I still had to have 4 rounds of Cervidil at the hospital after induction.  Not sure about durign conception.  It is indeed safe for the baby!
I used it for both.  I had my ds on his due date.  I used it for 2 weeks before ovulation and two weeks before delivery.  LOL..so on the way in and on the way out!
interesting.... i used it for conception assistance but i didnt know it can help u prepare for birth.

do u consume it orally or put it in you internally? worth a shot. Ive got a heap of the capsules here and im nearly a week overdue so willing to give it a go if it helps...

what do u ladies think?

Yes, I have read that you can take 2 pills orally and insert 2 before bed time. Inserting them is supposed to be more effective. They say to start taking them orally at 34 weeks, then to insert them vaginally beginning at 36 weeks. That is the most information I have gotten. I'm going to get some today because I am 36 weeks and not dilated. I just want a little push in that direction.
i have heard that raspberry leaf tea does the same thing.  i have started trying to drink it a few times a day.  i've heard it makes for a faster labor period which i am definitely hoping for!!!
I just squirted the EPO inside...didnt want to insert the whole pill.LOL!  I also used an excerise ball and bounced on it non-stop.  I drank the raspberry tea also...I didnt really like the flavor though.  I think the thing that got my labor going was massaging the feet, ankles, and calfs.  All the pressure points they tell you not to touch earlier in pregnancy!  I did almost everything!  HAHA...except castor oil, wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole!
How fast did all of those together get your labor going? I just bought the EPO today and will begin that tonight. So, we will see if it works or not probably by next week. I have looked everywhere for the Raspberry Tea, but all I find is Raspberry flavored tea. I can't find actual Raspberry Leaf Tea. I have looked at wal mart and at rite aid so far. I will also try bouncing on my birthing ball too. I have been trying to do it a few times a day lately.
look at health food stores like gnc or vitamin world.  you also may have luck at a natural market.  good idea with the birthing ball...i'm going to bounce on mine tonight as well!  will that actually prepare you for labor?  i was just planning to use it during labor--never thought about using it before....
Well, my doctor said that the baby is still really high. I have done some research on the internet and it says that doing pelvic circles on the ball and gently bouncing up and down can help bring the baby into position. I have been on it for the past like 2 hours and I now have a bit of lower back pressure/pain and I have had a few irregular contractions. Hmmm... if you google using a birthing ball to help dilate cervix or help baby drop you can find a lot of stuff. I love it... I think it's fun! LOL.
Here is a break down of my path to deliver
For me my baby was pretty much in position with his head in my pelvic bone.  I had no dilation and about 40% effaced a week before I gave birth.  I started the EPO and bouncing about a week before that.  Then my mom would rub my legs every day (DH was too afraid, LOL..you gotta love men!) after the rubbing I would get some small contractions just a bit stronger than BH's.  Then two days before I delivered I had some really bad concrations, laid down and they went away.  The day before I walked my a$$ off, then my mom rubbed the heck out of my legs, 1 hour later really bad contractions, went to L&D that night and had him the next day..on his due date.  So I dont know if he was just ready or if all those things worked...but I was only a finger tip dilated when I went to L&D..so things can move pretty fast even if you have no signs of birth approaching.
Sweet.. gives me some insight into what the future might hold for us. LOL. DH loves to massage my legs as long as they are shaved. LMAO. Which is like never but he toughs it out. LOL.

I know that she is head down, the doctor said that she is just still really high. Like she had to reach for the stars to even check my cervix. I will have to keep consistent on these things so I can post and let people know if they make me progress any in dilation or if the baby drops any time soon! LOL.
Yes please keep us updated!!  LOL, my DH doesnt mind rubbing my legs...he just didnt like the fact that it may make a baby come out!  Lets just say he was a bit nervous for the baby to come and soaked up every moment of Non-parenthood!  HAHA!
BTW...your belly pic at 30 wks looks like you are gonna pop!  That is totally how my ds was!  The last two weeks my belly button hurt soo bad...if he was even one day late I swore he was gonna come out of it!  LOL
KeeLolo commented on photo
45 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on photo
1 hr ago
KTowne, melimeli, and KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy