Extreme fatigue, muscle weakness & rapid heartbeat, 33 weeks. Is this normal?
I was just wondering if anyone else in their 3rd trimester is feeling this way. I honestly can't remember from my last pregnancy if I experienced feeling this extreme exhaustion, muscle weakness, and shortness of breath to the point where I feel like I'm suffocating. The only thing I do remember from my last pregnancy was the rapid heartbeat and arythmia, which brought on dizzyness and weakness, but in this pregnancy, it's a little different when it comes to the rapid heatbeat.
I have a CONSTANT feeling of extreme muscle weakness, even when I'm completely relaxed and resting. My muscles all over my body feel like I've done a workout beyond my ability; they have that tightness and weakness you feel if, for example, you were to do push-ups, sit-ups, squats, pull-ups, jump rope, and run a mile in a matter of minutes. Sometimes I feel like I can't even lift my legs for what little it takes to put one foot in front of the other to walk, and my stomach muscles are so drained that can't even take in a deep breath, it feels as if I have no strength in my arms to even lift them, and my heart beats so rapidly and pounds so hard in my chest that I can feel my pulse in my head and behind my eyes. It's horrible. It's getting worse by the day.
As long as I'm sitting still or lying in a reclined position, I feel just a little bit better. The weakness and exhaustion is more bearable, anyway. But as soon as I'm up and moving around even to so much as go to the bathroom, it feels like I have to run half a marathon. It's absolutely miserable. I feel so out of shape and weak.
Am I lacking a vitamin or mineral in my diet? Or could there be something wrong?
I see my OB next Tuesday. I haven't mentioned this to her yet because it's only gotten this bad in the last week, at least to where it's a constant feeling. Before last week, it was occasional and I figured it was nothing out of the ordinary. But now I feel like I can hardly function because I just feel so weak. Anyway, I just called my OB clinic and I'm waiting on a call back from the nurse there.
I just wanted to know if anyone else was/is in the same boat?
Maybe a blood sugar or magnesium/potassium deficiency? I don't know but I can understand why you're nervous! Maybe the baby is just pushing directly on your core nerve (vagal nerve?) and causing neurological symptoms....I wouldn't worry too much though, you did the right thing. If it gets worse I would go straight to the ER. I didn't have anything like that when I was pregnant but if you weren't pregnant I would definitely say blood sugar or mag./potass. imbalance.....but it's all so different with pregnancy. Good luck hon I hope they call you back soon!!!
I just got a call back. The nurse said that she's not too concerned with the feeling of muscle weakness, as they hear of that a lot, exactly how I described it.
But she was really concerned with the rapid heartbeat and shortness of breath to the point of feeling like I'm suffocating, and it happening so sporadically and unpredictably, and also with the sudden onsets of extreme exhaustion where I feel like I'll pass out cold. She said I'm scheduled for a hemoglobin test on Tuesday to check my iron levels, because it might be anemia. So she told me until Tuesday, no caffiene, and limit my sugar intake (ha, over Christmas, lol), and eat more protein and carbs. She said not to take iron supplements just yet, because it would take a few days for them to get in my system anyway and it would be better if they figure out my levels with bloodwork on Tuesday to get me the correct dosage if that's what I need. Also to basically stay on a water intake and no other liquids.
She also said that at this point, until I can get in on Tuesday, if I feel the rapid heartbeat and shortness of breath to the point of it feeling like suffocation for more than a few minutes, then I need to go to the ER immediately and be monitored. :-/
Well, considering when my heartrate and breathing issues generally last anywhere from 5-20 minutes at a time, looks like my odds of ending up in the ER this week are pretty good, which really s ucks.
Awww! I really hope your body behaves through the holiday and you don't have another incident until they can draw your blood and figure out what's going on....I could definitely see it being anemia, I didn't even think about that, because I had that after my daughter was born big time. I do have several of the same symptoms as you have on occasion (feeling suddenly exhausted like I'm going to pass out, racing heart, hard to catch breath occasionally) but I do also have a heart problem....so if your blood work comes out alright, you might consider asking them to do an ECG (heart ultrasound) because pregnancy can put a strain on your heart and affect the way it functions, which is probably what they'll do if you end up going into the ER before you get the blood tests. I really really pray for you that this doesn't interfere with your holiday and turns out to be something as simple as iron deficiency....keep me posted!!!!
Thank you, I will.
I did have a pregnancy related heart condition with my last pregnancy, and anemia. I just don't remember it feeling this severe. Last time around, I was referred to a cardiologist for my 3rd trimester because my heart was skipping beats and developed an arythmia, which went away immediately after I gave birth. The cariologist said that's common with pregnancies, but monitored me up to six weeks post partum just to make sure no permanent damage was done, which thankfully, none was.
I was found to be anemic in my first pregnancy very early on in my first trimester and was on iron supplements from about week 6. This time around, I've been doing great and haven't really developed any issues other than a temporary bout of spastic colon. But now it's suddenly hit me in just the last week, and I feel like I can't even live my life from day to day with any energy at all anymore.
I totally understand...I'm on a beta-blocker that makes me feel like that and I HATE it. unfortunately it's worked and it's brought my heart-rate (resting) from 120-130 down to about 80....so unless I figure out another solution or get surgery to fix my heart I'm kinda stuck with it and it's the worst thing EVER. Luckily you're almost there so if you are experiencing the same heart/anemia problems then you won't have to deal with them for too much longer.....crossing my fingers and praying for you <3.
Thank you so much!
I agree with your nurse- that can definitely be worrisome! I'm glad they'll be checking you out. The muscle weakness is probably a result of your other symptoms and once you can treat those you might not feel so weak.
I'm being sent home from work early today, but first, my co-workers and manager are "requiring" me to see the nurse practitioner here at the company before heading home, to make sure I'm in a safe enough condition to drive.
Apparently, I look pale with flushed cheeks and very obviously ill to everyone who sees me today. I've had quite a few people tell me upon first glance since I got in this morning that I do not look in very good condition today. :-(
Not feeling it either.
Oh no! I am glad you are getting checked out! I was always say better safe then sorry. I sure hope it turns out to be something that can be corrected quickly!

Keep us posted!
Let us know.  You can get symptoms similar to this from many things, some serious, many not.

I have felt this way for years, pregnancy made it worse, I am interested what you find out!
Katie, it turned out to be pre-term labor for me. I still feel this way, but I'm on bed rest now, so it's not so bad. I'm hoping it all passes once I give birth, which could be anytime after next week once I'm off my pre-term labor meds.
I hope you figure out what's causing your issue; I know how miserable it is to feel this way.
Did they check your Iron?
You know, I'm really not sure. I had a TON of bloodwork done at the hospital, but I was so drugged up I forgot to ask. I have an OB appointment tomorrow and I plan to ask then.
I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this one. I am 30wks though. My doc says it's just common 3rd trimester symptoms. It scares me when my heart feels like it's going to beat right out of my chest though so I wish there was something that could be done. Let me know if it lets up anytime soon. Good luck
OMG ... Ive been feeling all of these things... my O.b. doctor just checked the strength in my arms and told me that i hadnt had a stroke... I can even wash a dang spoon! My mom and my health nurse think it might possibly be an iron deficiancy but i can take pills. pregnant women appearently need 27mg's of iron aday... thats like 4 days worth of only spinach! If I am low on iron i can see why... i havent been eating much foods with iron in them since i was 4 months pregnant... im now 8! Im getting kinda scared because i dont want to be with weak for labour! my symptoms also come with suddenly feeling like im over heating and sweating with the truck window fully down and cold wind blowing in my face! Its rather disturbing to not know whats going on and my own O.B. doctor just tells me oh its nothing u didny have a stroke ur fine, meanwhile i feel like im watching the life be sucked out of me more and more each day!   I hope its not pre-term labour.. :O I just wanna have my strength back and have this baby! :(
I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant and I feel EXACTLY as the APH84 felt back in 2009. The last week and a half I have felt like the life has been sucked out me. Before that, I was up and doing a lot around the house, projects, cleaning, just always busy with something and I was happy.  Now just even typing this strains my muscles. I feel extremely exhausted, rapid heart beat, severely out of breath to the point where if i'm standing, I need to lean down on a counter with both arms and put me head down. I;ll be standing and all of the sudden I feel dizzy and that I need to go lay down or else I'll faint.  my muscles feel like I worked out very hard even when i'm laying in bed.  I have a hard time catching my breath just sitting there.  I'm starting to get really worried.  I just got diagnosed with gestation diabetes about 2 weeks ago so i'm monitoring that as well.  It's not bad though, i was only 3 points above the standard limits kaiser has. the diet is hard and I havent been eating as much as I used to since I was really in love with fruit, juices, yogurts and things with carbs in them. i have an appointment next thursday so i'll see what my ob says.  i've been really nervous and all this laying around is really boring with way too much time to think and search the internet.  I couldnt believe my eyes when i read the first post, it's like i had written that.  If there is anyone else out feeling this way, please post. I just posted because i think it really helps other women not feel so isolated and scared.  I'll write again after i talk with my Ob.
Hey! I have the same extreme loss of breath and the heart beat thing. My OB actually sent me to a heart doctor. He ran some tests and found out a have an irregular heart beat and.. something I can't remember. I went a couple times to make sure I didn't need life long medication or help during labor. He said I've probably had it my whole life but my heart is closer to my head now that my baby is pushing everything out of his way. He says I will be fine. I just hear and feel it bc my heart is higher. U could have the same thing going on. I would think u would be okay to wait until u see ur OB and they can send u to a heart specialist. But its real..  
Hi I would be interested to know how you got on. I am having almost exactly same symptoms.
I get the same way I can't even stand longer then 2 mins wit feeling like ima faint jus sittin here I feel tht way.im pregnant with twins but it shouldn't make me feel like this an also whn the weakness goes away I get heart flutters n my stomach feels like I was punched in it n hard to breath
I experienced weakness during my entire pregnancy. Especially my legs and arms. Insomnia, fast heart rate and palpitations. I was hoping that after my baby arrived, all these dreadful symptoms would go away but they didn't. I eventually discovered, on my own through research and trial & error, that I had a magnesium deficiency. When magnesium levels are low, it's likely that your potassium levels are low as well. These 2 minerals are very essential, especially during pregnancy. And a deficiency in either will cause all the symptoms mentioned, plus many more. Try increasing your magnesium and potassium intake.
I feel the weakness,tiredness,breathlessness,nausea (100%),i take crackers n even chew on ginger but i don't feel better.Am still in my 1st trimester.pls any supplements to make me feel better?
I am just in my second trimester and feel like this all the time, also can't hold anything down and at last Doctor appointment had high blood pressure but not to high, had high levels of liver enzymes but again not to high. It seems every test they run is a little issue, but they can't find anything extreme, yet I throw up and pass out , wish I could just get a straight answer.
Im 26 weeks pregnant with my second child and I have the same symptoms. I didnt have this with my first. I cant even walk to the living room from my room without feeling drained like im going to pass out. It is such a horrible feeling. I went to my OB and they said to keep eating protein and eat snacks every 2 hours and drink lots of water. I feel like im doing all of that and still have this issue. They did blood work on me to check my iron levels. I cant wait to get  my results back and see what this can be.
Ok I should first state that I don't KNOW the answer to your individual problems (even if this is an old thread) but will say that you need to check your entire lifeatyle. And diet is a good place to start.  I would say eat 6 or so meals daily, consisting of green veg , fruits and a source of protein like eggs, chicken, fish or meat. Try to have two of those meals as smoothies xonsisting of greens and some fruit etc. Keep your meals either raw, lightly steamed or boiled or grilled. Use little oil and fats in cooking but have raw oil or fat at the table and some carbs of your choice. Spice with lemon juice and rock salt and stay away from white salt and white sugar.  The most important thing is to really chew your starches (I.e.. everything but protein amd fat should be chewed and mived around in your mouth about 30 times. .. till it is liquid.) This is really key to extracting the nutrients including vits and minerals. Also use coffee... strong and sweet... as a last resort pick me up rather than first port of call as it is an endocrine disruptor as well as robbing your body of valuable minerals....but do use it if you really must.
Be good to yourself by eating what the good lord provided in it's most wholesome state and drink plenty of fresh or mineral water.
Also ... go for spinach and steamed oily fish for breakfast or lunch and avoid unhealthy snacks... snack on dates, figs amd nuts. Sweeten beverages with honey... and get your dates and figs etc from places that don't kill them with oil or added syrups.
Other than that,  get out and practice deep deep breathing like yoga etc ...but it needn't be a formal class... just relax breath and enjoy the freedom and ability to do that... drink mint tea... The menthol will relax you. .. have lemon water daily if not twice a day and drink or eat yogurt or fermented milk as your sytem needs this. Bear in mind.that most illnesses are related toour food and digestion as well as psychological and spiritual states. ... sleep well at night and nap in the day... get a routine. ..manage stress, pray and be positive and do good to others. Also get your bloods checked and see what the doc says.

Best. Ridwan.
I have the same problem... Legs are so weak, thigh muscles and in bum too. If I don't force myself to get up and walk about a bit every now and then, they go like jelly. It's so weird because while they've been sore throughout, it's gotten to the point at 37 weeks now that I'm scared I'm going to have trouble in labour manoeuvring around and might pull a muscle and do permanent damage or something! I Was an avid walker, jogger and gym goer before, but As soon as first trimester symptoms kicked in, I became anaemic and bed bound for months on end. Perhaps this lack of activity weakened me to this extent? will it ever go back to like before? It's like the OP says, it's as if I've overworked my leg muscles when I haven't so much as left the house! Even picking them up to try and stretch them makes me out of breath.  
Hello ive been feeling this way since i was like 23 weeks prego. I am now 36weeks. My pregnancy started with heart palpitations that made me fainty/dizzy. The heart palpitations have gotten better in the last month. But since i was 23 weeks ive been getting pressure/tightening in my pelvis area causing shortness of breath to the point were i feel like a fish out of water gasping for oxygen. My lips get dry and i get really dizzy after it passes. Sometimes it lastest 15-30seconds, I do suffer from pannick attacks. But never have felt this bad. Ive been checked and have had all types of test with no abnormalities. I just hope i dont feel this weak at the time of labor. This is my 2nd pregnancy and the tuffest one since the beginning. Hope u all had good labors with no complications and relaxed.