Finding a midwife?
I believe I'm about 5 weeks, pending doctor visit, and would prefer to work with a birth clinic and a licensed midwife with hospital privileges, if possible. A pregnant friend of mine also just discovered that she needs to find someone for prenatal care and none of her local OB-GYNs are taking new patients, so this question is for both of us.

How does one  find a midwife? Do we have to see an OB and get blood test, ultrasound, checkup, etc. first? Do we have to have a primary OB in charge? Or can I just call the birth clinic and do everything through them?

Also, anybody know about typical payment/insurance policies for using birth clinics? Would Medicaid cover that?

Thanks much for any insight!
Can somebody please help me with this? I'm trying to figure out how to set up my 8- to 10-week appointment and have no idea who to call or where to start. Managing the costs is important to me. I don't have good insurance and am looking for general info on the following:

1. Is it better to go with a doctor and hospital or hire a midwife?
2. What sort of costs can I expect (either one)?
3. Anything important I should know about either option?

Thanks!
well I've had all my births done by midwives, no doctors, the first was in a hospital based birth center, all the rest have been in hospital with midwifery based care, in australia, they are already attached to your hospitals and in new zealand either your g.p gives you a list or you look up in ph book to find one and go from there, you then deliver in hospital with them doing the birth. Not sure how it works where you are but I would start by asking your regular g.p or ring around a couple of hospitals. I wouldnt do it any other way, more personalised care, before, during and after birth and incidence of c-sections etc are alot lower, lots of people on this forum will beg to differ, but I wouldnt go any other way, of course if I had problems with my pregnancy/ birth etc that would be another matter
If you get a private one, make sure they are registered and have all the relevant  insurance etc as well
Thanks. I'm in the States and in mine, midwives have to be registered and meet state requirements in order to practice.
As A NICU nurse of 30 years, I think choosing not to give birth in a hospital, seconds away from an operating room, is irresponsible. What if something goes wrong and you need a crash C-section? Would you prefer your own comfort to the well being of your baby? I have seen so many cases of birth asphyxia due to delayed C-sections. No offense to midwives, but I don't know one NICU nurse who would choose to give birth anywhere but in a hospital setting.