Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
First Prenatal Screening

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

First Prenatal Screening

I have a question and I hope it gets answered this time. I was scheduled to have my first prenatal screening for Down Syndrome this morning. I thought my dr said it could be done up to 17 weeks. But I could not make it today so I had to cancel it and the lady said she had no avail apppointments left until january and now I can't do it at all. Has everyone done this test?? I know I chose not to do the amnio when I was preg with my first. But now they can do an ultrasound. So I figured I would do it. But I can't now. Is that ok??
You dont have to have this screeing done, So yes it is Ok. If you would really like to have this u/s done I would call your Ob and see if there is another place you can go and have it done at.....
I don't think it would hurt not to get it done they are basically just looking at the fluid between the neck and the spine and giving you your numbers for whether you are at risk or not.  Atleast that is what they did at my appt and they make sure that everything is growing the way that it should and that the hb is normal..
If you're over the age of 35 I believe it is recommended, even mandatory in some places. Otherwise no, you don't need to get it done. I didn't do any prenatal screenings because I knew I'd never choose to abort my baby if they had Down Syndrome or something.

Also, those tests only give you an estimated guess on the chances your baby could have a genetic anomoly and often give false positives which can cause the parents months of grief only to give birth to a perfectly healthy baby.

I say don't worry about it!
stacey10 Very very faint Bfp today a... Comment
1 hr ago
KeeLolo commented on laureninlove's status
hansen20 commented on KTowne's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy