Folic Acid and Cleft Pallet?
Is it true that taking extra folic acid can help prevent cleft pallet? Have any of you ladies done that or are doing that? Is it safe to take an extra folic acid supplement even though my prenatal pill has 800mcg of it already? Thanks for the help :)
I dont tink it is safe to take extra folic acid your one tablet a day has everything you need hun,read the label in the box it will tel you wat you need to know. .
My dr said it was ok to take extra folic acid. I do and I also take extra calcium and iron.
I take 5mg of folic acid a day. I'm on pregvit prenatal vitamins. Its got a high folic acid content because Im under weight and the Dr said he wanted to make sure my body absorbs enough, if not all of it. That being said, the pamphlet in the vitamins talks about all the  added benefits of taking 5mg daily of folic acid. My prenatal vitamins come only by prescription tho. I'm not sure where its available, I know it is in Canada as that's where I am. But Im not sure about the States. It also comes in a morning pill and a evening pill so it causes less stomach problems like constipation which is a plus. Lol
Oh I'm taking Nature Made Liquid Soft Gel Prenatal Multi +DHA. It doesn't come with a pamphlet or anything. You can just buy it in the vitamins section (I bought mine at Walmart). My doctors office is closed right now so I can't call about it until Monday. But the reason why I asked is because my mom told me that taking extra folic acid would help prevent cleft pallet (which is in my family's genes). Thanks for your replies everyone :)
Taking vitamins is to help with baby development an growth,i dont think taking extra will gaurantee your baby won't have cleft pallet if its in the genes,my fathers father had cleft lip and my daughter was fine,they should be able to tel you at your 20 week scan. .also type in your vitamins into a search engine and it will give you al the information you need. . Hope this helps. .
Yeah I understand that but I wasn't sure about taking extra folic acid helping with cleft pallet. My mom told me that last night so I thought I'd ask about it on here. For me cleft pallets are on my mom's side my dad doesn't have it but two of my mom's children (including me) ended up with it. So it seems like it skipped a couple of kids. But idk I hope and pray our baby doesn't have it. I'll make sure to call my doctor on monday and ask about it. Thanks for the info :)
folic acid is an extremely important vitimain to take, if your "planning"a pregnancy the reccomendation is to take it at least 3 months before trying to concieve, if you fall pregnant by "mistake"its recommended to start folic acid straight away, its essential for the first 3 months of pregnancy, of course there are pregnancies that happen, that the mum hasnt taken folic acid and bub has turned out fine....it helps with nural tube defects in the baby and 7 out of 10 cases of nural defects can be prevented by taking folic acid prior to and during the first trimester
and yes it can help prevent cleft lip/palate...
So do you think that 800mcg of folic acid is enough? And how much is too much to take if I'm already taking 800mcg of folic acid in my prental vitamin?
It's supposed to to help the formation so it fuses properly. My first son was born with a complete cleft lip and pallet on the left side, and when I spoke with my dr before getting pregnant again she recommended that I start taking folic acid while trying and continue taking extra throughout my pregnancy. We've seen a specialist and all looks good, no cleft, however, it's rare to have more than one child with it.
You should speak with your doctor to see if they think you should have extra, its usually recomended that if you have a child with preoblems that you take extra in subsequent pregnancies, but considering your family history, I think that they would advise taking abit more
I would ask Ur Dr about the pills Im on. They have all Ur prenatal vitamins plus the extra folic acid so u technically don't need to 'add' extra folic acid. My dads brother had a cleft lip, but so far he was the only family member that had it. I wouldnt be surprised if it was because of folic acid and vitamins that neither my brothers or any of my cousins developed cleft lip. In the 60's they probably didn't have prenatal vitamins let alone know the importance of them.
Oh I didn't know that. Thanks now it makes a little more sense. :)
Yeah I'm going to try and get ahold of them first thing monday morning. Its strange that they didn't tell me that because I told them I had pierre robane syndrome (I probably completely spelled that wrong sorry). My doctor scheduled me for when I'm 10 weeks to meet with my mid wife and go over my blood test and urine test and what ever else they'll do. I'm really surprised that they didn't tell me to take extra folic acid considering the circumstances. Would it be bad if I didn't take any until I'm 10 weeks? I'm 7 weeks 2-3 days I forgot lol. Should I just go get some today or wait until monday and see what the doctor or mid wife says?
Yeah that would be great if my doctor offered your prenatal pill because then I wouldn't have to take two pills every day. Just one :)
I would wait to take the extra and see what they say, your already having some in your pre-natals so thats good, just contact them monday :)
Alright. Thanks so much :)
My dr said to take extra too.  It is very important for babys brain and spine development. Especially before getting pregnant and early pregnancy the most. Ask your dr tho with all vitamins what they suggest.
Alright, will do :)
Hi, I took the recommended dose and my baby was still born with a cleft pallete (he has pierre roban and stickler syndrome).  I think you should just stick to the recommended dosage and if the worst should happen and your baby does have a cleft you will be able to deal with it and you will love your baby regardless :-)