Genital Herpes and Delivery
A week ago I went to a regular appointment with my doctor, but had some issues down there that needed to be checked. Well, the doctor informed me that I have herpes. I did not know I had them, and this would be my very first outbreak. I was put on antiviral meds, and my outbreak is feeling much better. But, my main concern at this point is my child. I am 36 weeks pregnant, was had outbreak from 35 weeks. I do not know if it will even completely clear up before baby decides to arrive, or my due date.

Should I get a c-section if I have the choice? I am worried that with an outbreak so close to my due date that there will be a higher chance of the baby catching herpes during delivery. Although, I do not really know if that is possible.

What do you all think? What would you do in my situation?
I'm not really knowledgable about STD's but if there's a chance it could spread to the baby during delivery, I would DEFF opt for a c-section.
Honestly I think your best bet would to talk to your doctor about it.
I've got good news and bad news for ya. Good news is once you get through your first couple outbreaks it will hardly affect your life anymore. Bad news is since you contracted it so late in your pregnancy your baby is at much higher risk. I'm no doctor! I've just been living with the herp for about 5 years now so I've got tons of tips. And for the record I've NEVER passed it to anyone if that makes you feel any better.  So here's the lowdown on your delivery. Have a C-section. It is very possible for you to have blisters "inside" (i.e. on your cervix) Don't take the chance bc your body hasn't had time to build antibodies to pass to protect your baby. I assume they put you on Valtrex. Take it religiously. I personally find that acyclovir works better but it's a twice a day pill which is a bit annoying, but it is SO much cheaper and I haven't had a single outbreak since I switched to it. I am actually trying to conceive myself. I've yet to decide on the delivery method but Ive had it much longer and it's become so weak that I don't even test positive for it anymore. However to be on the safe side if i have a vaginal delivery I will ABSOLUTELY not allow forceps or vacuums to be used. They can leave tiny tiny tiny scratches sometimes and that would give the virus an entry point. Also the stress of delivery itself can cause an outbreak. You'll soon learn the signs and will know when you're gonna get one. But that's prob not gonna be the case for you yet. I used to get flulike symptoms and numbness in my thigh. Now its just the numbness, but everyones different. So my advice would be the  csection. I hope this helps.If you need someone to talk to about it you're welcome to message me anytime. I've helped several people cope. My ex fiance gave it to me when he cheated and I had no one to turn to. So I know how that feels. And believe me, regardless of the social stigma of it literally 1 in 4 people have it. Congrats on your bundle of joy! Take care and the biggest thing is not to stress. Stress is the biggest trigger. Also the ingredients in artificial sugar are bad bad bad. Gum is okay but do yourself a favor and give up on the diet stuff. Yes even splenda. Lets face it that stuff tastes like **** anyway :)
If you had your outbreak sooner in your preganncy it most likely would have gone away before delivery and you could have successfully delivered vaginally....but with it being so late it may be best to opt for a c-section if possible.  (And trust me I don't advocate c-sections lightly-I'm firmly believe they are WAY over used in the U.S.) Herpes can cause blindness and other major problems if the baby contracts it during delivery.  Talk to your doctor though...he/she can you advise you better with knowing all the ins and outs of your situation.  
If you have an outbreak at time of delivery or think you may be getting an outbreak then a doctor will not deliver the baby vaginally. A vaginal birth during an outbreak can cause herpes encephalitis that affects the babys brain and can cause neurological damage, mental retardation or death. The risk is significantly higher if it is your first outbreak. Usually your doctor will monitor closely for an out break around delivery. In most cases they just do a c-section to avoid the risk. Congrats on the baby!!
Im not to sure, but I would have a c-section if i had them just incase they are hidden.  my boyfriends aunt has genital herpes and i believe she had c-sections with both of her kids even though there was never a visible outbreak during her pregnancies, but like someone said they can hide in the cervix without anyone knowing.  I think you can have outbreaks and not even notice them?   My doctors found out i had group B strep at like 12 weeks and even though it can go away they will treat me as though it is there through meds in my iv.  
Talk to your doctor they might already have decided what they are going to do!  Congrats on your baby!!! He/she is almost here!!! =)