HCG Level high, no fetal pole, yolk sac and gestational sac.
I need some help. I'm very concerned and my doctors have me in the most worried state of mind ever.  I am 25 years old and pregnant.  My husband and I are so excited as this will be our first.  we went last friday July 2,2010 to our first pre-natal examine. I thought at this point I was approx. 7 weeks along since my LMP was May 10,2010.  The doctor did her examine and said I felt about 8-10 weeks along.  However, they decided to do an US and they said my gestational sac measured about 5 weeks and i did have a yolk sac which was normal for this stage.  They wanted to do HCG levels to make sure everything was going correctly. I had my first one drawn that day and it was 26,707. Since it was a holiday weekend they drew the next one on monday July 5. It was 36,218. It had increased but hadn't doubled.  Which I was told as long as it increased that everything was fine.  They did an US today and my gestational sac had grown, but there was not fetal pole.  Since my HCGs level were high they should see this and they scheduled an US for next week.  At that point if there is no fetal pole the doctor thinks I need to have a D&C and start over.  Has anyone had this happen and the pregnancy be fine? I am so worried. I still have pregnancy symptoms such as the tender breasts. I am very worried. I need something or someone to help ease my mind. I have called another OB/GYN and they are going to get back to me with a second opinion. Thanks.
The higher your levels get in pregnancy the less likely they are to double. At about 5w3d my levels were 11000 and at 5w6d they were at like 32000. We didn't even see a heartbeat until 6w1d. It is completely possible that you ovulated late and if the gestational sac is showing an increase in size I wouldn't even consider getting a D&C until you get an ultrasound next week to see if there is more progress. I hate when doctors jump the gun.
at this point your HCG dont double they just increase, when i was 8 weeks from LMP i had an ultrasound cause i was spooting and it was increasing, and my gestational sac was measuring 6 weeks 5 days  and my HCG levels was at least in 40,000 and there was a small yolk sac but  no fetal pole or heartbeat. i went back 2 weeks later and my baby was measuring 8 weeks and i saw and heard her hearbeat and she was moving!!!, im currentley 30 weeks 4 days and she is perfect.

good luck on your next ultrasound.

Hi There,

Thought I would share my story about my second pregnancy with you. When I went for my first appointment (this was in mid Nov. 2008) the doctor's office was out of pregnancy tests so they did an ultrasound. The nurse couldn't find anything so the doctor came in and said he saw a sac but nothing else. I should have been about 7 weeks or so. He ordered blood tests and I returned in a week. At my second visit they still only saw a sac and no heartbeat and my levels showed I was only about 5 weeks even though I should be 8 weeks. I returned the next week for my third visit and the doctor told me my levels were still low and they did one more ultrasound and he said he saw just a sac and recommended I get an a d&c. He told me there was nothing else he could do and that I would eventually miscarry but that a D&C would be safer than just waiting for me to miscarry on my own. Well I was so upset. All I could do was cry but my husband kept saying he felt like everything was fine and that he had a bad feeling about that doctor. So,  I was able to switch to a new doctor at the beginning of  December. At my first appointment with her she did an ultrasound and immediately you could see my baby moving around. I was 10 weeks along and he was just fine. Had been there the whole time. I was so relieved! I had a healthy 7lb 10oz boy on June 23, 2008.

So, I would get a second opinion before you schedule a D&C. When I think that I almost let that doctor talk me into a quick decision to have a D&C it makes me cringe...maybe he couldn't find anything but a sac but that empty sac is now a 34lb 2 year old that thinks he's a professional wrestler! LOL

Good luck to you!
With levels that high you should be seeing something on sonogram. Also your uterus at 8 weeks isn't much bigger than a non-pregnant woman's uterus and an external exam to feel the uterus size at this stage is not very accurate.

I would wait a couple weeks and see what happens before taking anything to help you miscarry or before scheduling a D&C.
Thnaks for sharing your stories. I really hope that everything turns out okay. I've had so many bad things happen that this was finally a positive thing. I stil have hope. All i can do is wait and pray and hope things continue along and the baby decides to show up tuesday.
6weeks 4days no baby but they see yolk sack they said things look normal help someone I'm so worried oyea my hcg levels are 4000
thank you for sharing, finally some hope, my daughter is going through this now