Has anyone tried Castor Oil to Induce Labor?
I was just wondering if anyone has tried drinking castor oil to induce labor? I have been doing research on this and I am considering trying it if labor doesn't start on it's own soon. Just thought I would see what you ladies thought about it. I have heard a lot of good stories and then some that say that it doesn't do anything but make you have the runs. So I would love to hear your opinion about it.
Thought I'd do an update on the question ' does castor oil, help to induce labour?' I bought some castor oil capsules, just as easy to get hold of as the oil and took 13 of them at 8 in the evening monday just gone was 39+2 by ten I was having dull labor pains and had only felt loose on my bowls by 1 twice. Managed to sleep through some early labour pains and by 5 in the morning they were coming on pretty strong. Went to my normal midwife app at 9 that morning at the surgery and babys head was fully engaged and heart rate etc was doing well, midwife estimated I would have had him by 2am early hours next morning, came home and contractions were strong so went into hospital, routine check and I was 3cm, though contractions not close enough together so had to go home again. Home again by 1pm and by 2.30 contractions were really bad, mucus plug had come away and waters were breaking.. Came back into hospital 3.30 and was 8cms dilated! Then into the low of being in labor and was stressed and horrible but by 7.38 that evening had my little boy on nothing but gas and air. 22 hours of labor all in all nearly but castor oil got my baby boy here just in time for his first chirstmas!!
  I am 38 weeks pregnant, and scheduled for a c-section in 8 days...however I am considering trying castor oil tomorrow night to hopefully go into labor sooner...I am kind of nervous but I do see that it works for alot of people...Not sure what to do???
im currently 36 weeks. Not going to start labour (so please no grief) but my friend did with castor oil but she couldnt take it with juice as the look mad her ill. She was sick for full 9 months of preggers But the midwife told us if she rubbed it on her bump and keep heat on it would work the same as drinking myt take a little longer and we tryed and rubbed it in at 6pm monday night and put hairdryer on it constant and she had her baby 2 day past DD on tue morning about 5.30 am. She did have complaications as baby was to studdon to come out and needed help but all was well after that. no problems with baby after birth and she only had a few stiches but doc and midwifes have said that had nothing to do with castor oil that could of happened if she had been on time or any time after DD!! hope this helps with anyone who doesnt want to drink castor oil.

x
I am thinking of taking castor oil.
i tried it w my second son..but that was 9years ago..was back n forth to bathroom for about 2 tah 3 hrs..went hospital cause i jus knew he was ready..he was coming out b4 docs had gotten there gloves on..jus a bit nerves cause its been so long n ev pregnancy is dif..ill b 40 weeks n 2 days n wana take it n the morning..so ready to see my. Lil Sebastian
I tried two tablespoons of Casot oil at 39 wks and it gave me contractions that night but nothing more should I take more?
I tried it with my second pregnancy. This was 20 years ago. I took it late afternoon. In the middle of the night I woke up with really bad diarreah and it gave me hemorroids. By morning I was having contractions and lost my mucus plug. within 6 hours I was at the hospital and delivered a healthy baby boy with an apgar score of 10. I worked for me but because of how bad the diarreah was and getting hemorroids I did not try it with my 3rd pregnancy.
I drank the whole bottle mixed in a glass of orange juice. I think I took too much because the diarrea was very bad.
My friend was 3 weeks over due and drank the castor oil on recommendation of another friend. Anyway she drank it with me around 8 pm and we went to bed. She was in my room by 2am with a broken water and we went to the hospital. She had her baby 8 hours later. Before the oil she tried everything without help....I say try it!  Good luck!!
I used castor oil to bring on labour and it worked well, with hardly any side-effects. But I was 42 weeks, Bishop's Score 6 (dilated 3-4cm) and had been having stop-start contractions for about a week. I was booked for medical induction that night, which I wanted to avoid as all my friends who had been induced ended up with complications or really long labours. I had tried everything else - walking, sex, reflexology, curry... everything. In the end I followed the advice here http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/coMec.html. I took the mixture at 4am, gentle contractions started within 1/2 hr, building up gradually, baby born by 4pm. The only side effect was one big case of the runs at 6am but it was over in minutes and didn't affect the rest of my labour. I took care to stay hydrated anyway. My baby was born at home, as planned, everything really straightforward. Also I should mention it's my second baby so my body already knew the way. My verdict? Good as a last non-medical resort but make sure your body and baby are ready.
I'm 38 weeks and  1.5cmI just did the castrol oil about 2 hrs ago I only took 2 tablespoons I mixed it with a milkshake and couldn't even taste it...I dint get sick or have too use the bathroom, it just mad me gassy and give me cramps...not sure if it's going to work but I'm glad I tried a small dose.
One of the problems with castrol oil is that everyone takes it before they are due. When you are 37/38 weeks you are not technically due yet and shouldn't expect to have the baby. If you are past due then I suppose you can give it a try but is it worth the dehydration and time spent going to the bathroom???
Hi ive used castor oil with only one of my kids. I have four kids with one on the way. Three girls and one boy,I was so misserable with my son that I tried whatever. I was only 15 week's  when I started taking castor oil and it started contractions instantly and I went to the hospital and took the castor oil with me when they got my contractions underway I drink a lil more and they ranned in to try to stop them again. They didnt know what was causing me to contract but because of my actions my son was almost breeched and he was a week early but he was healthy overall. So it worked for me but everybody is different so its up to you but whatever you decide just make sure its what you want. Congratulations on a healthy baby...
i am 37 weeks with my last child, i have tried everything to get her to make her way out and nothing has dialated me at all im still fully closed. i drank castor oil 5 mins ago, this is my last attempt if this dont work i am done trying until she decides its time...Hoping for the best!!!
It works!! It works!! My sister in law tried this, she was in labor 3 hours later. Then my friend also did this and she was in labor 8 hours later. No complications just normal delivery. Like above said its not absorbed by us so can not cause merconium. That is false. Could also make you go to to bathroom though. Good luck!!
i am 35 weeks and when im 37 weeks and a half i am going to try castor oil and pray to god it work but i will  be sure to keep everyone updated on how it go so be back on march 8th
It works but god its horrible don't do it I warn u....try light walking or light sex...both might work without the vomit and the *****. I have seen this done time and again....everyone I know has after said horrible idea.  
i sure hope it does work for me!! i took 2oz at 9am and used the bathroom about 30 mins ago but everything stopped now! its going on 2:30 for me now i sure hope labor kicks in soon. should i take more later if im not in labor?
im about to hit 40 weeks monday and i tried the castor oil two days ago and made me start having contractions 5 mins apart but i havent dialted yet so today i tried a little more hopeing that it will work, so far nothing but makeing them come faster and the runs hasnt helped him come out yet soo good luck to whoever elsa trys it! remeber everyiones bodys act differently!
wait untill tomm to take some more, you dont want to take to much all in one day. if nothing happens today then wake up at 7am tomm and take 2tbl more with oj.. good luck and i hope it works for you bc as of right now its just giving me contractions but no change to where i need to go to the hospital.
I took some yesterday 2/28 around. 7pm I got the runs suddenly at almost 1am then followed really intense contractions that were one minute apart... At this time I was only a finger tip dilated. The contractions lasted an hour before they got 2 mins apart. The were very painful.  I was taken to OB unit and got a bed they hooked me up to monitors.  They checked my I was 1cm... Gave me pain meds via needle... Two hours later I was 1 to 2 cm, one hour later I was 2 to 3 cm... My doctor came in and checked me an hour later I was 3cm then they gave me more pain meds, checked me an hour later and I was still 3cm... Had I progressed to 4 cm they would have admitted me with active labor status... So they sent me home but once I got home the pain stopped around 11am... I am 3cm 75%... I have tried for round two at 10:30p tonight so we shall see what this round does... They say you can repeat it after 12 hours.  I took 2tbs with dole orange pineapple and banana juice but this time I drank a latte behind it.
39 weeks 2 days today and got desperate. I took 1 tbs of castor oil at 12 noon today. So far nothing. I know its a smaller dose then most people seem to take but I am sensitive to laxatives and figure if a little help doesnt work he's just not ready to come out yet!
Ok so and hour and a half in and some mild cramping so far. Went pee and lost a big chunk of my mucous plug. Will keep updating as the day goes on :)
2 1/2 hours in and having contractions every 3-5 minutes. We'll see how long it keeps up! Still no pooping or puking :)
took 1 tbs at noon. Contractions started at 2. Went hospital at 10 was 9cm and had baby at midnight! Worked for me! But i was almost 40 weeks. No poopin or pukin either!
i just drink 2 tablespoons of castor oil it was awful to get down.. when i went to my doctor appointment yesterday they told me i was 1cm and 50% effaced so i through it would be a great time to try it... will keep you posted to let you know if it worked for me..8:48am
well i had a little contractions and 1 bm but thats it maybe something will change cause im ready to see my baby girl maybe i will try it again cause i then it have to be with orange juice and i took it with sweet tea lol but im have some contraction but thats it nothing too bad. 3:59
i tried it again but if nothing happens this time i dont thank i was try again its too hard to drink down lol but so far 1 bm but i took it at 7:40 so pray for the best will keep you updated
really bad cramping feeling in stomach and feel like i have to have a bm but i cant going to try to go to sleep but these cramps hurt really bad will keep u updated
I am 39 weeks today! I have tried primrose oil and red rasberry leaf tea for the past week.  having  irregular contractions that are not getting stronger  for the past two weeks now. went to the doctor a week in a half ago and was 1cm and 70%. so today i tried 2 TBSP of castor oil in some orange juice we will see what happens. Hopefully it ends with my lil man in my arms.
YES IS does work my sister in law had some and 5 1/2 hours later she was in labor.,,,, i know im about 3 years late lol
I'm 39 weeks 2 days, have an apt tomorrow and am going to check with my Doctor to see if it's ok to try castor oil. Judging by the comments below it has about a 50% success rate which gives me hope because the thought of possibly having to wait 2 more weeks to deliver makes me want to cry. The one thing that surprises me is the amount of women that admitted to trying the oil in their 36 and 37 weeks of pregnancy. Just seems a bit dangerous to try almost a month early. Most of the women stated that the oil didn't work so I guess if your body isn't ready then the baby is staying put ) lol
Did it work?
I am 36+5 and I am desperate to jumpstart labor. My doctor who I seen Monday says that I am dilated 1cm, 50% effaced, and -2 stationed. He says he wants to see me back at 38+2 (Mar 18) to strip or sweep my membranes and from there if I haven't gone into labor but I'm at least 2.5 cm he'll induce me at 39wks (Mar 23). If I am not 2.5cm by then he plans to just induce on April 30th. This is my second baby and I had to be induced with my 1st  but this go round I'd like it to happen naturally so would any of u advise castor oil? I've already bought it but I'm a lil nervous and I want more opinions. What do u think?
Well, my mom was told by her doctor to use castor oil to induce labor when she was 38 weeks pregnant and it worked. I don't have any health problems. She also used it with my sister at 38 weeks as well and it worked. I just don't see how that could be a coincidence...
I'm 38 weeks and just tried 2tbsp of castor oil with coke....I wouldn't have if the contractions would just stop...I don't think it's gonna work but hey of it doesn't I won't be constipated anymore...anyone wanna know what happens? So I can keep updated
I do! Just to see what comes out of it!
DO NOT TRY IT... It hs worked for a lot of girls but it can b very unsettling and dangerous! U will get very sick, puking,pooping and horrible stomach pains not to mention it can cause ur baby to have its first bowel movement which can cause serious problems that u dont want. Its not worth it!! Stick wit nipple stimulation, walking, squating and sex (or do it urself) sperm and orgasm helps! i gave myself an orgasm every night sometimes twice for four days and went from 1cm 60%thinned to 3cm 80% thinned. Its worth a shot and totally safe! Good luck!
My first baby was 41 +1 and over 10 lbs. This time I wanted labor to start earlier so that the baby would be smaller as everything looked to be going in the direction of my first.

I had already been doing a ton of natural stuff to help encourage my body; RRL tea, EPO, walking, sex, stairs, etc. but when baby still had not come I decided that I had had enough and to try castor oil.

At 39 weeks and 3 days I took 12 castor oil capsules (equivalent to 1 tablespoon) in the evening at 10pm. At 2am I started having diarrhea - not too bad but enough to give me cramps (which was the point). During the night I was able to sleep but did feel uncomfortable and had to go to the bathroom about 4 times. By the end it was definitely a bit sensitive down there (although I did not get hemmroids etc- it was more like having a case of the flu).

Then at 6 am the stomach issues were pretty much over and contractions started. The contractions were irregular and super easy for me to deal with, in fact I was pretty sure that labor wasn't actually starting! However we decided to head to the hospital at 1pm and I learned I was already at 8cm. I had my baby at 3:45pm (only 8.9 pounds!!! -would definitely have ended up as big if I had waited as length was the same) without meds and overall it was a GREAT birth!!! I had no issues with the diarrhea,etc once labor started and if we have a third I would definitely use castor oil again.

I think using a small dose ( 1 tablespoon) and waiting until your body is close to labor- (after 39 weeks ideally) is key for it being a good experience :) Good luck ladies!!
I was 38 weeks pregnant with my daughter (1st child) and used castor oil to induce labor. The taste is extremely awful but right after I drank a bit of soda so it wasn't that bad . About 2 hours later my contractions started and not even 7 hours later my daughter was born. I did have the runs real bad at home before reaching the hospital but then again it was thanksgiving night and I had eaten like a cow ... My daughter was born 6lbs 8oz and healthy she is now 2 years old and driving me crazy Lol I'm now 26 weeks pregnant with my son and will most likely use it again ! My best friend also did it with her 2 kids. And they also turned out fine hope this helps goodluck :)
Im 37.5 weeks pregnant I tried castor oil laxt night(12-11-12) not even a hour later I thru up and fell asleep and 40mins later woke up to really bad contractions they lasted a hour but I didnt feel as if they were there strongest they stoppd a hour later I feel asleep nd now its 10:12am and im have n bad cramps so far I feel like it didnt work
Well Ladies I am 39 weeks and just had 2-3 tablespoons of Castor Oil and yea it was gross! I'll let you know if it works!
So after a long night of ******** ever hour, on the hour, and taking 2 hot baths last night to help with the cramping-- I've almost reached the 12 hour mark and must say my son is locked and loaded and ready to come. I am having a ton of pressure. Yesterday the doc said I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. This morning it feels like he is now sitting lower causing tremendous pressure 24/7 and my stomach is rock hard. I am still pooping so I really don't wan't to take another dose--Instead I will go for a walk and keep everyone updated.
I was so eager to get my first daughter here I tried it at 38 weeks. It made me have horrible cramps n diarrhea but no baby for another two weeks! It wasn't worth trying it in my second or even this pregnancy. Made me feel that awful!
do caster oil help u?
I used it with my daughter 2& 1/2 weeks before my due date I started having contractions two hours after words but I also took a long walk rightafter I took it but my water didn't break until.like 12 hours later
I took it yesterday around 7:39 pm by 5 am I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes .. They were really hurting ( I've been 4cm since 34 weeks) they checked me and I was still 4cm but I am now 100% effaced. They sent me home =\ I didn't have any diarrhea just gas now I feel constipated.. Lol
I'm 39w5d. I tried castor oil 2 weeks ago at around 7:50pm. Took 2 tbsps. Took another dose at around 9:00pm. I woke up at 0:30am with bad diarrhea cramping andcontractions mixed together. Contractions were strong and frequent (3 to 6 minutes apart) so we headed to the hospital. This is our second child and was told that labor could go very quickly with a second baby. I was only 1 cm dilated so they told me to walk around the hospital for
2 hours and checked me again and I was still at 1 cm. I was sent home, contractions stopped as soon as I had breakfast.

I've been on theinduction list for 6 days now do to low fluid. They are so busy at the hospital that my induction keeps being posponed. As i mentioned, I am 39w5d today. After my doctor appointment this morning, I took about 2 ozs of castor oil again, thinking it should work this time. So far, i had mild diarrhea and mild cramping. I went to the store, walked around, did some chores at home, and all i get are Braxton Hicks. I really hope castor oil works for me this time. It's been 4 1/2 hours since I took it. I'm starting to feel hopeless...
Update:

Mild contractions started at 4:30ish, but thought i'd be false labor cause they were short, yet so close together, around 2-3 minutes apart. By 5pm, they were got more painful. By 6pm, they were strong and consistent, but still a little short, around 30 seconds, but very frequent. We decided to head to the hospital and i spent the entire ride screaming in pain. Got there and i was 4 cm dilated, as opposed to 1.5cm that very same morning, so I was admitted. I went from 4cm to 10cm in less than 45 minutes!!!!!! Healthy 7 lbs Baby girl was born early that evening.

So it took less than 8 hours from the moment I took castor oil to holding my baby in my arms.
It didnt work for me:(i wanted my baby but mind bad ill just wait
Took castor oil lastnight around 9:30 pm had mild diarrhea and mild cramping throughout the night but I slept through most of it . Today did some walking but have been feeling a stomach ache all day . I have depression from this pregnancy and haven’t consulted with my dr about it so I’m trying castor oil again tonight hoping I’ll get this baby out . I am 38 weeks as of today I honestly wouldn’t survive another 2 weeks .
Hi there.  Here is the thing I'm concerned about.  Depression during pregnancy means you are likely to have post partum depression and delivering the baby isn't going to cure the depression. Hormones surge and wain and all that change can create mood instability.  So, PLEASE talk to your doctor about your depression that you had during pregnancy and let them help you once you deliver.  Many a mom has her time with her newborn ruined due to post partum depression or anxiety.  You would survive another two weeks, you are stronger than you think but you're also full term so if baby comes, it's okay.  Hope you deliver soon but please watch that depression as it can get worse once baby is delivered.  We're here to help!!  Talk to us about how you are feeling!