Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Help me find 'small' Multivitamins!! PLEASE!

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi Ladies,

you were so helpful with my last post, I was wondering if you could help me out again.  I have such a hard time swallowing bigger pills (No issues with smaller ones like "the pill" or my allergy pill Zyrtec or with the small folic acid pills)...

But it seems like Multivitamins are always horse-sized pills!!!!  

Right now I am taking One-A-DAy Womens and it is horrible.  I have to concentrate to get it down and by then it starts to dissolve and then I gag and it tastes horrible.  Not to mention that I am SO nauseous anyways and this just contributes to it!!  Plus since I am nauseous, I am eating what seems appealing to me...which is not always the healthiest stuff (yes, pizza seems to be constantly calling my name and doesnt make me nauseous) so I really want to continue taking a multivitamin.

Does anyone know of any SMALL multivitamins????????

Is there such a thing?!?!?
what about a liquid multi vitamin, I have a hard time swallowing pills as well so I take the liquid centrum complete multi vitamin.
Try some of the Chewables.  A lot of docs recommend Flintstones, honestly, for women who have trouble swallowing pills.
hi if your pregnant you should be taking a prenatel vitamin anyway not just a normal womens vitamin this one contains to much vitamin a.
there are plenty of brands out there which shouldent dissolve while swollowing?
try taking them with coke or something like that i mean come on one mouth full of coke aday wouldent hurt hey lol
last thing try taking them at night 1 hour befor bed this is what ive been doing for the past 2 years and am still doing its ok to take 2 at once if thats the recommended dose ect you will not overdose.
you are less likly to feel sick at this time of the day because stomach is full ect then if they cause you to be nausiouse after youve taken them youll be asleep great idea i think.
also somebody said to use flinstones chewables there for kids not pregnant women presuming you are pregnant(apoligies if ive got it all wrong)good luck to you it will get easier i dont really thing they come much smaller then average goodluck.
I have the same problem with swallowing large pills.
When I was pregnant, I had a chewable prenatal vitamin.

They were the best tasting things...but better than struggling to swallow the "horse pill" everyday :)
The childrens chewable vitamins might be better for you if you cant swallow big pills  :)
I went to the doctors last week and she told me to take prenatal Vitamins *OR* folic acid. I went for the folic acid because the pills are small. about the size of an asprin. If you eat healthy, there shouldnt be a problem.
One more question : You needed a prescription for them? They are not over the counter?
My doctor had said there is no need for "prenatal vitamins".  She said that taking a multivitamin and folic acid as well is enough.  My mother is also a doula and she said the same thing.  That is why I have been taking them...or trying to!
Thanks! I will have to see if I can get those.  I have two issues taking the vitamins : 1) the size = gagging and 2) yes, the taste and the nauseousness that comes with them, regardless of if I take on full stomach.  I HATE how my vitamin tastes when it takes me too long to swallow, which is always does cause it is too big!

I am now in my 9th week and hoping that this nauseousness eventually goes away!!!
I told my doctor that I didn't want "horse pills" and they prescribed me a "capsule" type vitamin called "Natacaps" that are easy to swallow. They aren't huge like most vitamins, but best of all, I don't taste the vitamin like I do with regular ones. That was my biggest problem with regular vitamins...if I didn't swallow it fast enough (which would happen if the pill was too big), I would taste the actual vitamin, which would make me gag and feel nauseous.

These (in my opinion) are fairly small, considering, and I've never tasted them. (I also take a folic acid pill on top of my vitamin, but it's very small).

Just a suggestion! :-)
Sorry it took me so long to respond...but I've not been online all day!

I assume they are only by prescription...but they aren't expensive. At least, with my insurance they are less than $2 for a 30 day supply (my insurance won't fill more than a 30 day supply at a time of ANY medication! ughh!).
I would think even without insurance they wouldn't run you more than the average vitamin. You could probably just call and ask your dr to call you in a prescription for them. It's not like it's an actual drug...just a simple vitamin.

The only thing is that I DID become somewhat constipated..but I don't know if the vitamins were to blame completely, or just the regular hormonal changes causing it. Probably a little bit of both, as the iron in prenatals can cause some constipation.  I take my vitamin right before going to bed, and I've never felt sick from it or anything (I know some people get sick from prenatals).

I compared the size of the capsule to a Tylenol PM Gelcap, and it is slightly larger. I also took a whiff of the open bottle, and smelled NO vitamin smell. It had a light smell to it, but not like a vitamin.
I would definitely look into it, if this is your main concern. You probably won't find a "teeny, tiny" vitamin...but this may be as close as you'll ever get! :-)
I found a multivitamin that is small.  One-a-day Essential!!! that's what is called.  It works for me I take it everyday.
What's the brand name for your One-A-Day Essential vitamins?  I used to take a small red round pill from Meijer, BUT they discontinued it.  It also was called Essential.
Des92 Aliyah is 3 Weeks and 2 day... Comment
Des_a_rae, specialmom, and KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy