Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Horses and pregnancy

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Horses and pregnancy

Hi all!  I know I've read you shouldn't ride horses while you're pregnant.  Is it REALLY true from day one?  I mean, I know you shouldn't ride especially when the baby starts showing or after a month or two (Since it's not as protected by the body).  But my mum keeps telling me she rode while she was pregnant with me  for many months and I turned out OK.

The thing is that we don't JUST trail ride, we run and jump.  I'm sad that this is it for me.  :(

What are your experiences/advice?  As it is I'm not sure I would make it out alive considering how badly my breasts hurt and they are huge!
I know that jumping and running is definitely not OK while pregnant. A baby is protected by the fluid and the pubic bone until about the 12-14th week and then it is just the fluid. I would think that you would not want to push the luck while pregnant. I am sure that some women can go and ride horses (like your mom) and have no problems but it isn't a guarantee that nothing will happen with your beanie. I am sure most doctor's will advise against it too.
its actually alright if you ride when you are pregnant. however don't tire yourslf and if you fell uncomfortable you should siop
Nope don't do it. My mother trains horses and as far as riding goes while pregnant it doesn't matter how trained your horse is there are a million outside factors that could spook the horse and cause you to fall off or make the horse buck or rear. We have all Arabians so they are a little more temperamental but its better to just refrain while you can. Just like with every else in pregnancy that you can't do its only 9 months and its for the safety of your child so better safe than sorry.  
The one thing I love to do the most......and do do the most is out!  :(  Horses are my life.

I'm TERRIFIED of riding while pregnant, one single moment can ruin everything.  I think my mum is crazy, but I can see not wanting to stop.  I don't want to stop.

I'm also worried about the posting and jostling about, in addition to my horse spooking at something or us taking a tumble after a coop.

Thanks all, I'm sure the Doctor will say no too.  Now in addition to drinking, not riding is going to make it harder to hide being pregnant until week 12!
KTowne commented on photo
5 mins ago
KeeLolo, and KTowne commented on KTowne's status
6 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on photo
45 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy