IUD and Antibiotics?
So, just a question for you all.

I know some Antibiotics can make birth control pills less effective. but is that the same with an IUD?

0
1. Cr*p >its the same

3
2. Dont worry >Its different

2
3. Good question >I have no idea
depends on which IUD....if it's the copper one, no effect. and even if it's the one that releases hormones the effect should be minimal because not only does the IUD use hormones to prevent pregnancy but the placement of the IUD itself can actually affect ovulation and the chances of pregnancy..

but the truth about risk of pregnancy due to taking antibiotics concurrently is iffy. and most doctors say that only the "cillins" (penicillin, amoxicillin, etc) are the ones that affect it, as opposed to things like Flagyl and Bactrim. and some women will claim that it doesn't affect it at all. however, I took birth control for 8 years without getting pregnant, and the only time I got pregnant was when I had taken some penicillin for a tooth infection. so I'm a believer.

the long and short if it is this; if you're really not wanting to get pregnant, use a condom until you're done with the antibiotics to be safe, because the information is so varied on this topic.
Thanks, I believe its the Mirena 5yr. I was on antibiotics like a Zpac(something like that) about month or two ago : /

I have had an IUD for years. My first was the Mirena (the one with hormones), which I had removed to conceive our second son. After he was born I chose the Paraguard. I had the Mirena for 5 years and have had the Paraguard for 1.5 years. My doctors never expressed any concern if I needed to take antibiotics during those times.

Antibiotics should not affect the reliability of an IUD. This is because the IUD is placed inside the uterus and prevents fertilized eggs from attaching. Whether the hormones (if you have the Mirena) are compromised or not you still have the IUD doing its job. That being said, pregnancies have been known to occur in women using an IUD so just ask your doctor.

zithromycin (z-pack) I DON'T think is known to affect birth control but I'm not 100% on it. I know it has a warning on the indications but all birth controls do...but I've always heard that it was the cillins you had to worry about.

Mirena does have the hormones so there may be a slim possibility that it affected it, but have you tested? if you got pregnant during the time you took the antibiotics it would def. show up by now
Thanks, no I havent. Ive had a few signs that make me question it....But I dont think I am, I was just wondering....I mean, my periods were all over the place intill about last month, now I hadnt had a period since then....But I believe that is normal with the IUD.
i thought a z pack was steroids? anyway i believe when i got mirena 2 months ago i read the pamphlet and it said medications dont affect it.
you can always look on mirena's website.
there you go then I figured it didn't because even if the medicine affected the hormones being released (which is iffy like I said) the actual placement of the objects helps to control the risk of pregnancy.

and no zpac is zithromycin which is a very strong antibiotic :)
Thanks everyone!