Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Is Tea safe and what about honey?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Is Tea safe and what about honey?

I have a sore throat & my allergies are killin me, Im going to stay away from herbal tea all together, but is there any tea out there that is proven safe?

Even if I could just have a cup of hot water with honey in cinnamon? I know your not supposed to give children under 2 honey, so is it safe for pregnant women? Anyone know?
when i was pregnant i drank green tea with honey ALL the time. that and regular black tea. that was one thing my ob said i could have since it was natural caffeine in the black tea but not to over do it. i'd have 2 cups of black tea and 4 or 5 of green tea. (i still drink that much of it. i'm a total tea freak) in a day.
and what's really funny...my boys LOVE tea. especially green tea. if i make myself a mug i make an extra one and give them some. such funny little guys.
It should be fine.  I haven't found anything saying we cant have honey.  I would do the classic honey lemon water for a sore throat tho :D

I would think cinnamon would burn.
Honey is perfectly fine during pregnancy. The reason you don't give it to young children is because it can contain botulinum spores. Our digestive tracks are more acidic and can produce toxic to resist botulism. A young child's cannot. During pregnancy the mothers digestive track is acidic which will prevent the spores from germinating posing no threat to the fetus.

Is there a reason you want to avoid herbal teas? I know there are at least three that are likely safe from the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database that are used during pregnancy. Red Raspberry Leaf, Peppermint Leaf and Lemon Balm. Though most health care providers say to use red raspberry leaf after the first trimester just because there's so much debate on it.
it is fine to have tea while your pregnant, even herbal tea as long is it is a regular flavor and does'nt have additives. if it has caffiene you are not supposed to go over 200-300 mg of caffiene a day which is quite a bit of tea generally. as far as honey I have been told it is fine as long as it is in something hot and not just being eatten straight! Good luck and hope you feel better!
be careful if you plan on drinking green tea - it can affect how your body absorbs folic acid

im sure a cup of tea with honey a day is just fine
Ya stay away from green tea you want the baby to get the colic acid it's very important in preventing many defects
Ive heard that pregnant woman should stay away from green tea cause none is proven safe, so I just opted for honey & cinnamon, its really good......i totally forgot about lemon tho!! I have noooo voice whatsoever right now its killing me, I see the Ob tomorrow so I will ask them anyway,

TY ladies :)
KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
52 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
1 hr ago
KeeLolo commented on Shannon79's status
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy