Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Just took Castor oil!

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Just took Castor oil!

I just took castor oil? What should I expect? My midwife this morning said it should work my body is ready and so is my baby boy. This is my 2nd baby and I went 42 weeks with my first child and had some complications with her. So I'm almost 38 wks and and I'm hoping I won't have any difficulties just a baby in the next 24 hours I hope. Any experiences and advice would be helpful. Thanks!
My mom took this with my sister and had a really bad night (on the toilet) but she did come the next day.
You can expect you will likely get diarrhea since castor oil is a stimulant laxative and possibly nausea, vomiting, and abdominal cramping which "may" lead to contractions.   There is much ongoing debate as too whether castor oil will actually induce labor - many women swear by it and and many medical professional believe this is an old wives tale.

BTW: if your body was ready for your baby and your baby was ready to be born, nature would take its course and you would NOT need to attempt self induction.  I firmly believe induction should NOT be done unless medically necessary.
A friend of mine drank a bottle of castor oil and it didnt help. All it did was make her vomit and have diarrhea. Good luck to you!!! I have a feeling you are going to be feeling pretty gross for a while.
Avatar n tn
Actually I'm still feeling ok. Just a few trips to the bathroom and difinately having contractions.
You still have 2 more weeks left, why would you think you were ready to go into labor?  I can understand being induced at 42 weeks but we are supposed to be pregnant for 40 weeks.  There is a reason for that.  Why couldn't you just have at least waited until the 40 weeks and then attempted the castor oil?  Well good luck with everything.  
Glad you are still feeling okay. Thats a good thing. Good luck to you. Cant wait to see pics of your new little one!!!!
The majority of the time a baby is considered ok to be born at 38w. My doctor will be delivering me by csection at around 38w.

Normally how castor oil works is if your body isn't ready to go into labor, then it'll just give you the runs. but if it's ready and just needs a tiny push... it'll do it's job.

The only reason I answered this even tho I don't have first hand experience, is I just read a huge thread on Babycenter.com not 2 minutes ago on the Castor Oil Debate. lol

hope this helps!
hansen20 commented on hansen20's status
1 hr ago
hansen20 so I think Iv been planning... Comment
1 hr ago
KeeLolo commented on Baseline blood work a...
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy