Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Listeriosis during second trimester

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Listeriosis during second trimester

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and this is my first.  At around 14-15 weeks, I developed some serious stomach issues, and they came on very quickly.  I suddenly developed very bad pains in my stomach, followed by very light colored bowel movements, with traces of red.  Then it turned into diarrhea which lasted a full day, and then came back a few times in the next few weeks, after I would eat something. I also started running a low-grade fever of 99-100.3.  I saw my OB, who did not seem concerned (she heard the heartbeat that day, and then again a week ago) but told me to see the GI doctor.  It took over a week to get an appt, and when I finally saw her, her only suggestion was that it was viral.  These symptoms have come and gone, along with the off-and-on low grade fever.  I am better now, but still have the occasional flare up.  Anyway, I was talking to someone today who said they were surprised that I wasn't tested for listeriosis.  I hadn't even thought of this- I'm sure I ate something I wasn't supposed to prior to knowing I was pregnant, and I also eat a lot of raw (washed) fruits & veggies-  and it seems like almost anything can be unsafe!!   I am now concerned, but I am getting blown off by my doctors because I am feeling better.  I am wondering-  if it was, in fact, a listeria infection, is it possible for me to clear the infection, but my baby still be in danger? Would the baby continue to be infected, even if I am no longer symptomatic?  I haven't had an ultrasound since I have been sick, only 2 check-ups with strong heartbeats.  Should I insist on getting a blood test for listeria, just to be safe?  
I'm sure you're probably fine especially if your symptoms have mostly resolved. Another thing to remember is that it is pretty common for women to get IBS bouts, especially during pregnancy. I myself had this in my second trimester and it resolved. It's uncomfortable but you get over it. As for the traces of red..were you eating a lot of fruit? Increased amounts of fruit can color your feces and also increase your gut motility. I wouldn't worry too much if your symptoms have gone away and your baby continues to be healthy. I also wouldn't worry too much about listeria unless maybe you were eating raw foods like sushi etc.
KeeLolo commented on mandaszoo's status
KeeLolo commented on cnj76's status
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy