Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Low Fluid @ 32 weeks

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Low Fluid @ 32 weeks

Hi there i'm new to the forum but very worried so was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.
I am 32 weeks pregnant with my second child and since about 28 weeks been feeling very damp downstairs, I've been in and out of hospital to get this checked and they have found that my fluid levels are low and getting lower at 30 weeks they were 12cm at 31 weeks they were at 7.2cm... I do have another scan booked for wednesday but over the last week or so feel like my bump is shrinking and everytime the baby moves it's very painful, I've also been given steriods to advance my babies lungs incase of early delivery I am still feeling quite damp and as I say in a lot of pain (not contractions) Would you wait 5 days for scan or go back in?
Tags: low fluid
If you have low fluid then baby's movements probably hurt becuase he/she has little room to move around.  The contractions could be caused due to uterine irritation from whereever your amniotic leak is at.  If you are concerned I would DEFINATELY call you OB immediately and tell them what is going on, especially if this pain is new since your last scan.  With low fluid they CAN admit you to the hospital and do amnioinfusion to replenish the fluid.  Do they have you on bedrest at this point? If not, you should be taking it easy as much as possible.  The more you move around the more you will leak.  I would definately call you doc consider in the last week your fluid has dropped 4.8 cm.  If it drops at that rate again this week it is going to be dangerously low. Anything under 5 is cause for worry.  I'm very surprised they aren't having you do biweekly or even daily nst's and afi's (non stress tests and amniotic fluid index) BEing as you are only 31 weeks and your fluid and it dropped so much over one weeks time, I can't believe they aren't checking you more frequently.  Please call and express you concerns to your doc and see what he/she says.  If you are not satisfied with the response you get, go to the ER, if nothing else to get some peace of mind for you.
My main concern I think is the amount of fluid i've lost in just a week if again this week when I go back for a scan, i've lost a simular amount it will only leave my baby about 2cm of fluid, clearly this is dangerous, they are having me in for weekly scans at the min but I feel this isn't enough considering the amount of fluid I lost in a week, I don't know what to expect if I lost all my fluid before my next scan would I go into labour or what I just don't know the only thing i've been told to watch for is feeling feverish????? I'm so confussed!!!
I dont know what the typical protocols are in a situation like this but I agree with losingmymindinGA - you can always call your doctor and express your concerns and ask for a earlier US.  I know of people who had low AF and were given an US twice a week but I dont know what their exact situation was.  I think if I was in your situation, I would want an US before 5 days.

In the mean time drink plenty of water and keep well rested by lying on your left side.  Also watch for decreased, or change in, fetal movements (if they become weaker, for example).  If that happens, you need to head to L&D right away.
Thanks so much for your replies been back on to the hospital, think they think i'm over reacting a little not that i'm happy with it!! I just get this feeling things aren't as clear cut as they seem, I think i'm going to have to speak to my midwife first thing monday morning to see if she can arrange anything sooner, but it's along wait until then!! The hospital just don't seem interested, My baby is still moving about but it's very painfull and it seems like I have to give him a nudge to get him to move properly other than that he's pretty quiet, I just wish they would listen to me like u guys are thanks again!! x
My best advice to you is if you just feel like something isnt  right, head in and demand to be checked - it doesnt matter how much they might think you are overreacting.  it takes 5 mins to run a quick US.

When you get too low on amniotic fluid there are several complications that can occur including a cord accident.  Please dont let the doctors brush you off if you have a certain "gut instinct".   Of course your doctor might be monitoring you appropriately and there might not be cause for alarm right now if your AA hasnt dropped too much more since you were last checked.  But do head in again, if you feel you need to.
If you were at 12 and down to 7, somethings up....for a week. I would def make sure they are keeping a good eye on you. The more water you drink, the more your fluid level can go up. You should be drinking a gallon of water a day.

I went in last week and my levels were down to 8 and I drank water like crazy that week, the following week they were up to 11.4 so drinking def helps.

when i leaked aminotic fluid after my amniocenthesis they put me on major iv fluids and the fluid levels increased! at 17 weeks mine were down to 6 then 2 days later 8 and i dont know about now but dr isnt concerned!
veronica0808 commented on photo
Shannon79 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Des92 Aliyah turned 8 weeks old t... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy