Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Low-Normal Amniotic Fluid at 20 week ultrasound

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have had a pretty normal pregnancy to date.  We had a sub-chorionic bleed early on, but everything seemed to improve fairly quickly...

I had a first trimester screen (ultrasound and blood test) at 12 1/2 weeks that showed the possiblity of trisomy 18 and downs syndrome were basically negative.  Then the AFP for neural tube defects at 18 weeks came back also basically negative at 1 in 17000.  

But then today, at our 20 week ultrasound, we were told we had on the low end of normal levels of amniotic fluid.  All of the baby's growth measurements were fine.  It is a nice average/normal size baby and the kidneys and bladder look fine.  They called a doctor (specialist in ultrasound) over to take a look as well and he thought that the fluid levels were probably fine, but they want to check again in two weeks.  Also the baby was sitting breech, so they couldn't get all of the measurements they would have liked in a level II scan.

I haven't had any membrane rupture that I am aware of - I'm not leaking fluid that I'm aware of.

Has anyone else had this issue --- low-normal fluid.  Does this increase the chances of pre-term birth or birth defects?  Our doctors tell me not to worry, that they would be concerned if the baby wasn't growing appropriately AND there was low fluid, but that's not the case.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By the way, this is a third pregnancy.  I have a healthy 2 year old daughter and miscarried at 5 1/2 weeks last September.
Avatar n tn
As long as the babys growth is OK and kidneys are OK, you are likely fine. Poorly developed kidneys can cause oligohydramnios or low amniotic fluid. the risk is fetal growth restriction b/c the baby has no room to grow. There can also be cord compression because there is no room for the cord at worst case scenario. There can be various degrees of low amniotic fluid and it sounds as if yours isnt too bad. It is not associated with preterm labor. Your MD may schedule a biophysical profile which basically looks at the degree of oxygenation of the fetus by measuring movement and etc. If you have decreased fetal movement call your MD. I am a med student and I have seen tons of women with this problem and they all do fine, your Dr. is right to tell you not to worry, it is much more common that you will continue to have a normal pregnancy than something bad going wrong. You might want to ask the degree of oligohydramnios if you need some clarification/ reassurance. Hope this helps. good luck
shay
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much to each of you for the replies.  I don't know how I could possibly not worry about this.  Just having a place to talk about it sure helps!

They didn't say anything about downs syndrome or any other defects, but I don't know what they would be willing to say at this stage in an effort to keep me from worrying too much. I find my earlier tests (first trimester screen and AFP) to be encouraging.

Shay, They did say that the kidneys, bladder and overall growth of the baby were as would be expected for this gestational age, so that was reassuring.  Your explanation as to growth and movement restriction is very much appreciated.

Thanks to you all!
Avatar n tn
I like how doctors tell you not to worry !!
Wait until the next ultrasound to see, I know a couple of times they had to re-do mine due to babys position.
When i had my c-section at 39.5 weeks the nurses kept asking me if I was over due (not to my knowledge) because he came out really scally(skin peeling like a sunburn does)  or they said he must have ran out of amniotic fluid. whether this is true or not i dont know it never showed up on a u/s as being low?
I would think as you progress and it got low enough that it would do harm they would induce you.
Avatar n tn
WELL I HAVE A COUPLE OF FRIENDS WHO WENT TO GET THE NAF TEST ONE OF THE GIRLS WAS 4MO PREG AND HERS WAS VEY LOW TOLD HER THAT HER BABY WAS GOING TO BE A DOWN SYNDROME BABY KNOW SHE HAS A HEALTHY 4YR OLD GIRL NO PROBLEMS.  MY OTHER FRIEND THEY TOLD HER THE SAME THING AT 5MO SHE HAS A HEALTHY 6YR OLD BOY. I GUESS WITH THESE STORIES NO TEST IS ACCURATE. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Avatar n tn
I had low-normal fluid at 34 weeks and the drs just retested a few days later to see if it resolved itself, which it did.  I had a sinus infection and was dehydrated at the time, which was contributing to the fluid levels being low.  Also there is a difference betweeen low and low-normal.  Hopefully, this will resolve itself in the next test.  Good luck.  Jenni
Avatar n tn
My sister-in-law just gave birth to a little baby girl at 35 weeks and she had low amniotic fluid since she was about 24 weeks pg.  They had eventually put her on bed rest at home and then had to admit her to the hospital because the fluid was still decreasing.  My sister-in-law said that she didn't notice herself leaking and she did stay in bed so she wasn't sure why she still had low levels.  Once admitted into the hospital they wanted to try and postpone labor till about 37 weeks but they couldn't.  The induced her labor early Friday morning and the baby was born hours later.  The baby is doing well but she is very small and has to go and do daily test for the next few weeks till they are sure that she gaining weight properly.

I wouldn't let it alarm me unless the doctors are alarmed but I know that it is difficult to stay calm.

Good Luck!

guinea
Avatar n tn
Thanks so much for the support.  I try to find comfort in still being in the "normal" range, albeit low-normal.  I think I'm mostly concerned about the baby needing to be delivered early as a result of this.  I think this will be a very long two weeks as we wait to see if it resolves itself.  

Thank you again...
I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY ONE ULTRASOUND THAT MY BABY IS IN SLIGHTLY LOW FLUID. THE DAY AFTER I I HAD ANOTHER SCAN AN WAS TOLD THE FLUID IS FINE BY A DOCTOR I HAD A LOW PLACENTER AND AND HEAVY BLEEDING MY PLACENTRE HAS MOVED BACK BUT IS STILL SLIGHTLY COVERING THE CV MY BLEEDING HAS CALMED DOWN BUT BECAUSE OF THE BLEEDING IM NOT SURE IF IM LOOSING AMBIOTIC FLUID CAN ANY ONE HELP DOCTOR TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY BUT IM SO SCARED
I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY ONE ULTRASOUND THAT MY BABY IS IN SLIGHTLY LOW FLUID. THE DAY AFTER I I HAD ANOTHER SCAN AN WAS TOLD THE FLUID IS FINE BY A DOCTOR I HAD A LOW PLACENTER AND AND HEAVY BLEEDING MY PLACENTRE HAS MOVED BACK BUT IS STILL SLIGHTLY COVERING THE CV MY BLEEDING HAS CALMED DOWN BUT BECAUSE OF THE BLEEDING IM NOT SURE IF IM LOOSING AMBIOTIC FLUID CAN ANY ONE HELP DOCTOR TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY BUT IM SO SCARED PLEASE CAN ANYONE REASURE ME
I was told at my 21 week us tht i had low amniotic fluid, and to take it easy and drink plenty of fluids. My dr said come bck in 4 weeks for another us to see if its low. Well i go back in two days as im now 25 weeks...i know that my levels are still low b/c we had a private 3d/4d over the weekend and they commented that it was low. I dont know my exact levels but am curious what could happen if i go on weds and my levels r still low. Anyone experience this?
my daughter went to doc today found out she is having a boy but the fluids are low and they think something might be wrong with his kidneys but don't know for sure she has to go back in two weeks plz post something encouraging we are all saying prayers
hansen20 commented on KeeLolo's status
43 mins ago
KTowne commented on renae176's status
1 hr ago
hansen20, KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
1 hr ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy