Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Lower Back pain at 38 weeks.... normal or not?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hey ladies!  My back is hurting today.  Its been hurting off and on all day.  I'm so uncomfortable.  I took a shower and notice that I lost a quarter size amount of the mucus plug.  ( I have been loosing it for the past 2 days.  Not as much though.)  Is this normal?  I have never felt this before.  What could this be? Please reply.  Anita
Anita~ normal! it's called muscle stress from the baby being lower! It actually threw my back out and caused my scoliosis to come back when I was pregnant with TJ.
I was just reading online about " back labor".  I had never heard of it.  I read that lots of woman have pain in their lower back during contractions.   And thats common for babies that are face up/ sunny-side up.  And my baby is face up.  I'm going to wait it out and see.  The pain has eased right now.  I'll keep every one posted though.  The odds are that its nothing... its just that the pain is in my lower back.  Pregnancy can be so confusing!  LOL.  Antia
I would say that if the pain is bearable that is probably normal pregnancy pain.  i could barely walk by the end of my last pregnancy.  It was so horrible.  My mom had back labor, and from the way she describes it, it doesn't sound like that's what your experiencing.  She told me that it felt like with every contraction, someone would take an ax to her lower back and it was excruciating.  I have heard a lot of people say that back labor is worse then regular labor.....so I think that if back labor was the case for you the pain would probably be close to unbearable.
wen i went into labor with my first it was nothing but back labor i had no ideal i ws in labor, as it got father along i had thr runs that morning, but never no stomack pains , went to dr because my mom was concerned . when i got there i was 8 fingers so dont wait to long. i had my son 45 mins later, with 3 pushes. natural good luck
def can be a s ign of labour...especially if you start having any pressure down there
I definitely think you are  in labor!  I only saw my mucus plug with one of my (3) pregnancies, no other symptoms,,,  and the baby came 3 hours later. The mucus plug isn't always a noticable sign of labor, but when you see it, it's definitely time to go to the hospital, especially if you have back pains or contractions.  

Good Luck!
What I meant to say was sometimes people don't notice their mucus plug when they are in labor.  But to me, if you DO see it, it's a sure sign.  Now, SCOOT!  Off to the dr  or hospital, dear!
The pain in my back stopped last night.  :-(   So I think I was having contractions.   I will see my midwife tomorrow so I'm trying to hold off until then.  But if it starts again I'm going to time it.  I have been feeling pressure for a while now.  I have a UTI that I'm taking meds for too.  I hope it will happen soon!  I'll keep ya'll posted!  Anita
I had back labor, it was an achy feeling and I also felt like I was having menstrual cramps in the beginning. It was much more than just back pain, I knew it had to be contractions. Shortly after it started I went to the bathroom at work and was spotting, that's when I knew for sure. I would try and time them if it starts again.
I wanted to say that I hope this is the start of labor for you!!! I cant wait to hear your birth story and see pics of your little bambino!!!!
Please help,am 38weeks pregnant and my baby is constantly hilling on one side.plus i have been having braxton contractions that comes and go....how close to labour  i?
Avatar n tn
Um just cause u lost your mucus plug doesn't mean you are in labor, just to correct someone that said that^

Some women lose their mucus plug weeks before they go into labor. And yes back pain is normal,you obviously have all that extra weight plus the way baby positioned could also trigger that. Good luck wish u a safe labor
hansen20 I didn't gain any weight un... Comment
hansen20 commented on renae176's status
KeeLolo, desderius, hansen20, and Shannon79 commented on KeeLolo's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy