MTHFR
Hello I was wondering if anyone in here has been diagnosed with MTHFR and if so what does your doctor have you taking?  I have had 6 m/c and have tested positive for MTHFR, but my doc tells me that there is little know about it.  I have read up on it and it seems that I need to be on extra Folic Acid, B6, B12 and 81 mg aspirin, but my doc said that I didn't need those so he wouldn't give them to me???? Can anyone help with this situation???????
Uh...I have two friends with this and they definitely take an Rx type of vitamin.  I'll have to find out what it is and let you know.  But, yes, there is something he should be giving you, especially have 6 losses!  I'm so sorry.
Here is what one of my friends wrote to me:

The vitamin that I take is acutally called the MTHFR vitamin.  It is compounded for me at "The Specialty Pharmacy of St. Louis"  It actually says on the bottle "MTHFR  (folic acid, B6,B12) Vitamin # 2619  4MG, 200MG, 500MCG"  
     Whoever this info is for, will need a prescription from her Doctor. And insurance doesn't automatically cover this med. She will have to pay full price ($66.00), and then mail in info to her insurance company to see if they will cover any of it.

That's all the info I have for it. Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but it gives me "morning sickness" the first 3-5 hours I'm awake in the morning.  Yuck.
I have and my doctor attributes my m/c to it.   I take extra vitamins for the folic acid and I take daily injections of Lovenox while pregnant, and I swear by it. i hate the shots but Im just about it my third trimester,  and I attribute my baby's life to them.
Thank you both for the info.  I think I will go to the drug store and just purchase the over the counter folic acid, B6, and B12 since my doc won't give them to me.  We actually tried the lovenox this last pregnancy, but it didn't help, but of course I wasn't on any extra vitamins so don't know if that was the cause.  Becky do you know if your friend was taking lovenox shots as well or just the extra vitamins?
wow, i should dbe an expert on this by now!

i was diagnosed with it in feb. i take 1 shot of 40mgs lovenox a day, one folic acid tab, one prenatal, and prometrium after i ovulate (prometrium is for my progesterone issue). i have had 3 failed pregnancies before i found out, and one failed pregnancy after i found out. i have been ttc again since june with no luck. if you have any questions just ask! i know how confusing it can be!
Ok ladies, what is the name of the actual blood test that they do to test for that. And is it actually a blood clotting disorder.
there is not a specific name for the test. what they call it is a "miscarriage workup". they test for about 13 different things.

and yes, it is an acutal blood clotting disorder, which is why lovenox and/or 81 mgs of aspirin is a must. the reason why mthfr causes miscarrage is tiny blood clots get caught in the placenta, which causes the flow of oxygen to get cut off from the fetus thus the pregnancy ends. if you get this disorder you should not ever take birth control again, because bc increases the chance for blood clots. bc with this disorder can be deadly.
Neither of my friends have taken shots, only the pills.
there are several different "factors" with the disease. i have factor 5, which requires the blood thinner. some people who have the same disease have a different factor form and do not require anything except extra folic acid and/or baby aspirin.
Thank you all so much, It amazes me how much is known about this, when my doc says nothing.  I guess he would rather save money than to give me a few extra vitamins that could save our next baby. I think it is a great time to switch doctors.   Thanks again to everyone of you and God Bless you all.