Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Massage safe during pregnancy?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Massage safe during pregnancy?

Is it safe for a woman to receive massage during pregnancy?  Some massage classes say massage of the feet, and/ or calves, or during the first trimester, could cause a miscarriage.  Other classes say it is safe to massage a woman throughout her pregnancy, only avoiding deep pressure.  Still other classes specifically recommend extra work on a pregnant woman's feet and calves.  Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.
You cannot miscarry due to massage.

In fact, there are places specifically geared toward prenatal massage. It's very beneficial to you.
You can definitely get massages during pregnancy.  The massage therapist knows what they are doing.  They can't go deep into the tissue because it could cause you to contract but they know what they are doing and they know what to do for a pre-natal massage.  I was getting massages monthly for about the first 6 months.
ask you dr, i think only durring certain trimesters
Hi, from your name is sounds like you are a Massage Therapist from Texas? Yet you asked the question. Surprising. Yes a woman can recieve massage during pregnancy AFTER her 1st Trimester. There is a lot to know before massaging a pregnant woman. You should take continuing education in Pregnancy Massage. Bette Waters has good books out there and has a home study courses also. You should belong to AMTA. They have CEU's offered all the time in lots of modalities. You should be knowledgeable in Maternity Massage before you work on anyone pregnant and if you are an LMT, hopefully you are insured. Anyone pregnant looking for a massage therapist please go to the AMTA site and look under Massage Therapist Locator for your state and put in Maternity massage. Then call and talk to them to make sure they are knowledgeable. It's your body and your babys, take the best care possible. BTW how many hours does it take to become a LMT in Texas? Different states have different rules, but most are under the regulations of NCBTMB, which is good for the patient and LMT. Good Luck.
Yes massage is completely safe during pregnancy. I own my own beauty salon & we offer special packages tailored for pregnancy-I even massaged a woman 1 week from her DD before.
I tend to suggest refraining from any kind of therapy (holistic or non) during the first trimester-I must stress-It cannot cause miscarriage however there is a slight chance of developmental problems-generally we advise against because of mediums used during massage.
Good luck with your pregnancy & enjoy your massage(s) :)
I've just noticed your profile say's your a massage therapist? Why ask the question?
Hi I work at a spa and the answer to that is DEFINATLY that it is not a proven fact but there is reason to believe that a massage in a first trimester pregnancy may lead to miscarriage...again that is not proven...after 13 weeks you are in the clear to have a massage for a MAX 50 minutes any longer is not comfortable anymore but they do make special pillows for massages for pregnant women!
Massage CANNOT cause miscarriage-Only if it is performed incorrectly can it have any reflection on a healthy pregnancy. Mediums used in massage can have a negative affect in the first trimester & certain oils may be harmful throughout pregnancy ie Lavender.

We have special massage tables with bump holes so the client is perfectly comfortable throughout the whole treatment-We also offer many other treatments during pregnancy.

The way your question was written seemed deceptive-at no time did you mention you were a massage therapist or even had any links?
Im not at all saying the question you asked was wrong cos you are completely correct when you say nothing is proven-unfortunately we will never know if things are right or wrong until something goes wrong & all the information we can get in these circumstances is preferential. All I know is the treatments we do help pregnant women-making them feel more relaxed & generally better about themselves.

I will carry on as I am-I believe it genuinely helps mother & baby-I also teach baby massage which is fairly taboo over here-every mother I have taught is amazed at how much this helps there baby relax! So Im sick of hearing what we should n shouldn't be doing-For everyone telling you something is right there will be 10 others telling you how wrong you are!

Hope this helps-I am not being rude I have always said what I think.

Freya x
Sorry II just realized your not the person who wrote the initial post! My bad! I stick by everything I said just ignore the bits about previous post! Sorry :(

Freya x
Hi my partner massage my neck and back and has done before I got pregnant however I have been told he shouldn't do it really need help here as my back is so bad I need him to do it I am 17 weeks pregnant it is a very deep massage and really helps thanks leanne
Des_a_rae commented on Des_a_rae's status
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy