Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Maternity leave

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Maternity leave

I will be going on maternity leave in April, the unfortunate side is that I do not get a said maternity leave. I get to use whatever time off I have accumulated, and after that will have to take time without pay. Does anyone know if there is assistance out there or ways of getting monetary help after having a baby?
There is through the state you'll have to look online, we have DSHS and WIC here in Washington, I work at McDonald's and its not paid at all and u can't earn paid days off so, I'm s.o.l
What is DSHS??
It's the Department of Social and Health services. The vary from state to state, but all provide the same services. You can apply for government aid, such as cash assistance and food stamps.
My husband works and makes a good income so I dont think we would qualify for foot stamps. What kinds of cash assitance are there? We live in CA by the way if that helps.
I believe it is the same in all states. They look at all your income, and then if you make less than a certain amount you can qualify for it. I applied but was denied.
Some states will cover you with short term disability.  I don't know what the law is in Ca though, but something you can look into!
I would just start trying to save money from here on out..that's the best thing I can suggest! Maybe take out a small loan if you have to...or pre-pay as many bills as you can so hubby's salary can carry you through.

How long will you be on a single income? (i.e. after your paid leave time runs out)
When are you due and how much time have you accrued? My jobs the same way and there are other ways to stretch your paid time off or at least there is for me. I know that after 30 days (including weekends) I can apply for short term disability where the state will pay 75% and the other 25% will be supplemented through my remaining days off and then beyond that I can remain at 75%. It would be beneficial to speak with HR if you are in a position to do so
I am due in April, and by then I might have 3 weeks accrued? I am hoping to take 8 weeks off so I just don't know if that will be possible because that is a lot of time with no pay. I am saving  and that is what I did the first time around and we survived but it was tough and our bills are higher this time around seeing as we live in southern CA. I have short term disability but I don't know if it will work or not because of pre-existing conditions and I believe mine will only cover 7 working days. My HR is not being too helpful.......
I'm not too knowledgeable about anything outside of Delaware law but here they just reinstated pregnancy as a viable option for shirt term dis
Short*
stacey10 commented on stacey10's status
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne, and Hollus commented on KTowne's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy