Natural labor or Pain meds...what did you do/plan to do
Just curious...

8
1. Went natural

13
2. Wanted natural but asked for meds

10
3. Planned on meds and got them!

10
4. Haven't delivered yet but will go natural

6
5. Haven't delivered yet but will ask for meds
hi  i had natural birth and jst gas and air. wasnt as bad as i thought,  but i was also only in labour for 6hrs, i woke up  waters broke by the time my mum got to me n then we got to the hospital  which was only like  20 mins  away from  me, i was  already 6-7cm dilated, toook me to a delivery room  straight away gave me gas n air n told me to push coss my contractions were like every 1-2 mins. so i had a gd 1st birth.  
I wanted to go natural but first baby had to be induced, so since the IV was hooked up anyway....= )

Second and third, REALLY wanted no IV.  To be honest, the IV scares me more than the labor!  But again, didn't quite make it through.  Took Stadol (sp?) which I think was to "relax" me haha! but did not do much for pain.

Plan to try again for my drug-free birth this time!  I think I can I think I can!! = )
I was forced to get induced since my water broke. I went as long as I could with no medication but at the very end I finally gave in.
I had my first naturally and will have my second (due March 9) naturally.....
I plan to have a natural birth!!!
Ok I am one of those wimps.  I plan to have an epidural.  I have heard so many stories, and after my research I have decided to go with the epidural.  I don't handle pain very well.
I wanted to go natural but once I was in labor it was so intense I couldn't even breathe. No one was helpful and my husband was clueless.

So when I had my 2nd daughter I went in with the mindset of getting an epidural. I was a lot more comfortable sooner and the labor and delivery (while it did last longer) was so much more enjoyable and pleasant. Plus, before I got the epidural I knew more about how to breathe so even though I was in pain I was still joking around and laughing.

I had my qualms about the pain medication because it does pass to baby. In the end, though, it was what helped me have a lovely birth (with each girl). We have the technology, there's no need to be in pain if you don't have to be!

And Jules, you're not a wimp for wanting an epidural! You're practical and you know what you want. It doesn't make you less of a woman.
i was almost 8cm dilated when i started getting pains so i chickened out and asked for the epidural!
I think it depends a lot on how well prepared you are.  With your first, it can be very overwhelming if you do not have strategies (breathing, counting, blowing, etc.) to cope with the pain.  I think I was fighting against every contraction and had a very LONG labor.

With my third, I came much closer to my goal of a drug-free birth, although I gave in near the end.  I felt like had started to learn how to cope with the contractions and let them do their job.  My labor went much faster, and I handled it better.

I suggest learning as many coping methods and reading as much as possible, then you may be better prepared to handle labor better.  Still, everyone (and every labor) is different, so you can never know quite what to expect.
Last time they screwed up and gave me the epi right at 10cm. I felt everything leading up to, but not the actual birth. This time I am going to try for natural, but whatever happens happens. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape if things don't go according to plan.
Hahaha my first, natural.  I was 2 weeks from my birthing class when I went into labor!  Hahaha good thing from start to finish it was over in 36 minutes, but didn't really hurt

Second one, natural!  

And this one will be natural!  No time for meds.  =)  

If you want to go natural though, get your mind set now that it's what you want.  Ask everyone to talk you out of it, because if you don't want the drugs you can easily be talked out!  Also, As a runner, I just used the breathe in through you nose and out through your mouth during labor and focus on relaxing your body, so you can make it through!
I labored with nothing....I had asked for an epidural but they didn't get to me until I was 10cm dilated...they gave it to me anyway...so I labored with nothing and just had the epidural for pushing....which didn't work out that well being it slowed my contractions (which I could no longer feel) and they had to start Pitocin on me to increase the frequency of the contractions....So as far as laboring goes, it was totally bearable.....can't answer as far as pushing goes...I was numb!
I wanted a natural labor. The doctor kept going in my room asking if I was sure I didn't want a epidural. I quickly said no and kept refusing, but he kept coming back and said, "You know, when I'm sewing you up, you're gonna feel all that," and he finally convinced me. I went 17 hours into labor before I gave in. I ended up having a c-section anyway :(
I had drugs... oh my I had demerol.. stadol and an epi but i was in labor for 37 1/2 hours!!!

Those contractions were soo intense and I got so tired so quickly.. if i didn't get the drugs  i honestly think i would have passed out from exhaustion and pain..

the drugs gave me time to relax and catch my breathe... the demerol actually knocked me out and I slept for 2 hours I went from 4 to 6cm while I slept... but a warning I got really sick from demerol so I was puking in between contractions but then again I hadn't eaten in 2 days .. so it was given to me on an empty stomach
Epidurals are wonderful if they are administered correctly.  With one of my kids, I was actually fully dialated before I got anything for pain but that's only because the stupid hospital sent me home earlier that day and I was afraid to go back because I thought they would send me home again.  Well, when my husband finally said enough is enough, I got to the hospital at an 8.  By the time the anesthesiologist got there, I was a 10.  My doc said it would be quick and that I didn't need anything at this point, but I didn't care, so the anesthesiologist gave me a local.

The pain meds are there and I don't have anything to prove to anyone.  I have felt the extreme pain of being in full blown labor and being fully dialated without pain meds and it was not enjoyable to say the least.

There are some women that give birth very quickly and don't need it, but I am not one of those people.  So for women that give birth very quickly, no wonder they don't want pain meds.  That only makes sense.  But for those of us that have to go through it for hours upon hours, yay pain meds!!
I would like to have a natural birth, I think that I can handle it BUT if it gets way too intense then I might ask for something to take off the edge but I want to be able to feel the birth and I don't want any complications from the Epi or being induced with pitosin.  I think I will ride it out at home for as long as I can so I don't need to get induced and then when I feel like I'm close (for some reason I think that you will know) then I'll go to L&D.
My plan is once contractions start I will lay in my bathtub soaking in warm water and wobble on the exercise ball until I'm ready.
from the begining i planned on getting the epidural. i did. i'm glad i did. before i got it when my contractions started....i couldn't even walk. the worst pain i'd ever felt in my entire life. felt like someone was stabbing me repeatedly in the back over and over and over again. (i had all my contractions and labor  pains in my back) so i got the epidural. hurt like h3ll getting it put in but once it was in.....i felt great. the pain went away and i had a very easy delivery.
i had my first naturally due to accelerated labor.  one hour i was 2 centimeters and the next check i was 9.
i had my second naturally due to the 'top anesthesiologist' not being able to make the epidural work.  i was stuck in my spine 6 times before i called mercy.  turned out to be a good thing though b/c the labor was fast and the baby was 11 lbs.  i literally needed all of my strength to push!
I was in labor for over 16 hours. They couldn't give me pain meds b/c my sons heartbeat was slightly dropping when I was having contractions. After about the 17th hour, I ended up having to have an emergency C-section. so then of course I got the epi.
Even though I'm in medical, and know the associated risks, everyone I know keeps telling me I WILL WANT an epidural.  The thought scares me to no end, but then, nothing is absolute and I'll go when it's my time, so why not?

Course this one girl the other day said she was going to get one, but they had her walking the halls and then the labor started and she never got her drugs.  Maybe that'll happen.  I'm scared about my first birth, and unsure what to do.
I guess in my opinion the only way a birth is not natural is if the baby is delivered through my nose. If there is time and medicine to be had, then I'll do it.
I wanted natural but after 36 hours and some complications the dr. over rid my consent and forced medication upon me.  Fine by me, it was much better afterwards.  I wish I hadn't been so stubborn!  At 47.5 hours my boy was born after emergency c-section.  All well and healthy now!
I planned on getting meds and got them and was happy with the epidural - however I was in Labor for 18 hours before it got painful - then I was having back labor (Landen flipped around and was face up) every contraction he was hitting my spine.  The contractions in my stomach wasn't painful - but I needed the epidural for the back labor - and it worked wonderful!   After about 8 hours though it started wearing off and asked for more - if you go with epi - remember you can always ask for more as soon as it starts wearing off!  
havn't delivered yet but hoping to go natural but will get the epidural if needed.
I had my first naturally..... It was a fast labor.....3 1/2 hours pushing and all.... and Man O Man did it hurt like HECK!!!! I want to try natural with this one as well.... BUT i have no problem asking for meds if I feel I cant handle the pain.... I am going in with an open mind and just hope to have a beautiful birth experience and weather that means meds or no meds we will see!
i had an epidural wth my 1st and 2nd...which was brilliant. i got a bit cocky by the time i came to my third and tried to do it just with gas and air. unfortunately, baby was 8lbs 13ozs with a huge head and by the time i was in immense pain it was too late for an epidural. all they could give me was pethidine and for me it did nothing but hurt my leg where they injected it. i then had to have a ventouse delivery. it was horrendous...push them out if at all possible! i'm definitely opting for an epidural this time.