hello, we had our first ultra sound last week where I was suppose to be 7 weeks pregnant. The doctor informed my husband and I that there was no heartbeat and the fetus was the size of only 6 weeks and that I would miscarry. To me, this seems very early to determine that the baby is no longer alive. We are obvioulsy devestated and are doing the best we can to cope with our loss. Is there a chance the doctor could be wrong and that maybe I was off on my conception date??? I was prescribed a medication to take every six hours that would cause me to miscarry. I have not taken it yet because I am still feeling slight nausea and feel as if I may still be pregnant. I had my blood drawn on Friday and have a follow up appointment with the doctor on Wednesday. As much as I want so badly for this night mare to end and for me to truly in fact be pregnant with a healthy child, I feel as if I am dragging this on if in fact my baby is not alive. I just want to move on with my life if that is the case. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Am I holding on to false hope??
IF this was your 1st u/s done, then I would ask for one more in about a week. But if you had, had one done before this one then I would say you missed m/c. I also missed m/c back in sept. Its a hard thing. Im sorry for you loss.
Honestly, I wouldn't take the medicine just yet. I do think you could be off on your dates. A few days can make a huge difference in a pregnancy. I can't believe your doctor would not wait longer to make that kind of determination. Terminating a pregnancy that you want, and so quickly just doesn't sound right to me. I'm no doctor but I know people who haven't seen a heartbeat for like another week or 2. If you are still feeling nausea, your HCG levels could be rising. Have you thought about getting a 2nd opinion? I agree with you. I think it's just too early to make that kind of determination. Maybe I'm wrong for telling you this, but I would go with my gut. Doctors are human and are not always right. I trust mine with my life. He's been my doctor since I was 15. He's delivered all 5 of my children. But if you don't have the same type of relationship with your doctor, I would consider getting a 2nd opinion.
That was my 1st u/s. It just seemed as if the doctor had no hope and was so quick to determine it was no longer alive. I do feel as if maybe I should get a second opinion. I have a follow up on Wednesday and I'm very curious to know what my hcg levels come back at since I had my blood drawn on Friday. I very much want to still be pregnant and I pray that my hcg levels are still going up. I think I will wait to take the pill until at least my drop in hcg level is confirmed and/or a second opinion. This is just so mentally draining and is really taking a toll on me mentally and physically (as I feel I'm developing a head cold now on top of everything). I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your reply's. I normally don't do these kind of post forum things, but I really feel like I need to know that there is someone out there that understands my loss, heartache, mental depression, etc. Thank you!
I agree go get that second opion.. I had a miscarriage in May and had three u/s before we went threw with the d/c.. My HCG levels went up, even though the baby stopped growing. So dont do anything until you are sure, otherwise you are going to wonder forever. Get a second opin., ask for another u/s, which seeing is believing.. Nothing else will make it complete until than..
Thank you! I have a second opinion scheduled for tomorrow morning. I feel a little better already just knowing that that I can possibly have closure to all of this or that my baby is in fact hanging on and is alive. I pray for the latter. I'll keep you all updated. Thank you again to those of you who have responded, I really appreciate the support!
I had the same thing happen to me. I went to the ER because I had horrible pain on my side. They did an u/s and showed a yolk sac, the next week, a sac (this was at 6 weeks), I was told "prepare yourself you are going to miscarry" That was a horrible day. I called my husband as he was at work. He is a police officer and came in I was crying and till half naked telling him what I was told. He asked to speak to another doctor who said. We can wait as long as you want, it may be to early, your timing may be off, one day means a HUGE difference in pregnancy. I laid on the couch for week until my next appointment. When someone says that to you, you feel like the world stops. My husband kept saying it will all be ok, but he wasn't there when she said the word "miscarry" The following week though we saw a heartbeat!!!!!!!! My son is now 18 months. Don't give up hope. I know a lot of pregnancies end in miscarrage (miscarriage), but my husband kept saying think positive! I wish you the best of luck and hope that this offers you hope.
I have same experience as yours..miscarriage. When the doc comfirm the baby is not alive, I'm shock and I dont believe it. I think the doc might wrong until the next day, I got my first contraction. Only then i believe, the baby gone.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know only too well the feeling when the doctor announces something like that with no preparation whatsoever. I agree with everyone on the forum - get a second opinion and don't do anything until something happens naturally. My miscarriage happened naturally but at least I didn't have to wonder whether I had made the right decision - after all, doctors do make mistakes (as we can see from Connor's mum). I will be keeping you and your baby in my prayers. God bless you
I am currently going through the same thing. I had my first u/s on 11/19/07 which I believed that I was 7 weeks. They saw a fetus and fetal pole but no heartbeat. My blood work indicated that I was between 4 to 6 weeks. I have more blood work on 11/21/07 and they I see the doctor @ 1:30pm with the results. I am scared, confused, and angry. I want so much to be pregnant. My doctor has told me to "prepare myself for the worst". I have family and friends praying for me. I don't have any cramping and/or bleeding. Keep the faith and my prayers are with you.
I had the same thing happen only I was 10 wks and I just took the dr word for it. I didn't wait or get a 2nd opinion and now I wonder if I made the right decision. I think you are definitely right to get another opinion. How did things go for you this morning? I hope all is well. God Bless and Baby Dust to all!!
Well, I had a second u/s and it confirmed the worst. However at least this time I was some what prepared for it. I just feel so much better now that at least I had it confirmed. I just could not cause myself to miscarry with any doubt in my mind. As for now, I will move on and look towards the future. BTW, I thought I was coming down with the flu...only to learn from my primary care physician on Friday that it was stress induced sickness. It's crazy what the mind can do. I literally caused myself to become sick with all of the stress. Thanks again to all of you who responded to this post. It really did make a difference. Let's continue to support other women who may be experiencing the same situation. God bless all of you.
First, can I ask a question? This is my first day on here and I don't know how things work. I selected "watch this" but do I get sent an email when someone replies or do I need to write down each web address? Sorry
Now on to the topic...By 5 weeks, a heartbeat SHOULD be detected. However, there are always those exceptions. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, I was in the same boat about 2 months ago.
The only reason they would usually schedule an u/s a week later is if the baby had a slow heartbeat (below 120 bpm). In some cases, the heartbeat will raise within the week or stop altogether. In my case I went in at what I thought to be 7w and the baby showed a gestational size of only 5w6d with a slow heart beat. I returned in a week and the heartbeat had stopped. In your case, it sounds as if they do not need a second u/s as there is no viable heartbeat at all. However, a second opinion couldn't hurt. Miracles do happen. Good luck, sorry for your loss.
Go with you feeling and dont take the pills, we know our bodies better than any doctor and if it were me i know i wouldnt do anything till i was absalutly positive and got a second opinion, good luck and i hope your baby is still alive x
First off, I was hoping that this would be my first message (had 2 webpages open at the same time.). I want to say that I'm sorry that you are going through this. This sounds very similar to what I went through to. I took the medication because it was the "less invasive" way or aborting, but my body was holding onto the tissue forever (over a month). I couldn't take it anymore - I ended up getting a D&C. If you want to get on with your life and not wait around, I would talk to your doctor about a D&C. Although like they say, everyones body is different.
DON'T do anything yet. There have been numerous case where they haven't heard the heartbeat at 9-10 weeks too!! Unless and until it is harmful to ur health I don't see any reason why u wldn't want to wait. A very close friend of mine didn't get a heartbeat until 12 weeks... She went against what the doctors had to say.....and now, she has a very healthy 4-year-old to show!!!! PLEASE don't do anything and just hang in there momma!!!! Have faith n' god bless!!!!
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.