Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Pain under my ribs... 27 weeks & 4 days

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pain under my ribs... 27 weeks & 4 days

3875844?1231978888
I'm having pain under my ribs.  I have been feeling this before only when I would sneeze or cough.  But I noticed today that it hurts when I bend or reach for some thing.  It hurts when I roll over at night too.  Is this normal?  Has any one else felt this?  I'm getting SOOO uncomfortable.  Anita
100%
 (7) 
Yes its normal, I felt/feel the same way
0%
 (0) 
I don't think thats normal
0%
 (0) 
Never happened to me
0%
 (0) 
I don't know
7 Members voted
For me I think it was his butt or maybe it was his foot, either way. It hurt!
Oh yea, (I had u/s every 4weeks), and I asked them every Time what the H*ll iT was because it hurt so much. LOL
I just asked a maternity nurse about this last night at my childbirth class!  She said most likely it is your baby pushing your diaphragm up into your ribs causing that painful, stabbing, 'stitch' like pain...gas or just baby kicking.  It might hurt you more, but interlock your fingers, stretch your arms in front of you and then while taking slow deep breaths, lift your arms up over your head and keep stretching up-up-up to elongate your mid-section/ribs and try to get everything to move...
this kinda has me worried... what do ya'll think of this?

What are the symptoms of preeclampsia?

Preeclampsia can come on suddenly, so it's very important to be aware of the symptoms. Call your midwife or doctor right away if you notice any of these warning signs:

Swelling in your face or puffiness around your eyes, more than slight swelling of your hands, or excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles. • Rapid weight gain — more than 4 pounds in a week.
• Severe or persistent headache
• Vision changes, including double vision, blurred vision, seeing spots or flashing lights, sensitivity to light, or temporary loss of vision
• Intense pain or tenderness in your upper abdomen
• Nausea and vomiting

Preeclampsia can occur without any obvious symptoms, particularly in the early stages, and some symptoms may seem like normal pregnancy complaints. So you might not know you have the condition until it's discovered at a routine prenatal visit. This is one of the reasons it's so important not to miss your appointments.
Your pain doesn't seem preeclampsia like...
I know when my sister had pre eclampsia they told her to watch for pain at the top of her stomach and to call her OB right away if she had any.
I hope this isn't your case but I know you have been a little concerned about pre eclampsia for most of your pregnancy.
I hope all is well :)
i doubt it's preeclampsia as you'd most likely have other symptoms too. however if you're worried, get your midwife or dr to check your blood pressure, it'll put your mind at rest.
I have been swelling since 7 weeks.  But that has been my biggest problem.  ( I never had morning sickness or any thing like that.)  Well I noticed a few days ago that my vision was blurred, with my glasses on, when I was reading a book.  My blood pressure has been normal.  My OB dr in a hour away so I'm trying to avoid a trip there if not needed.  I was tested at 7 weeks... but I'm almost 28 weeks now... i don't know what to think.  After 3 mc's perhaps I'm just being paranoid.  I'm going to call my dr's office in a bit.  Anita
Have you been loosing protein in your urine? My OB told me that they started ruling swelling out of sign of pre eclampsia since everyone gets swollen.
If you haven't really had high blood pressure or protein in your urine I wouldn't worry.
If you have been keeping up with your appt's that is one of the things they monitor you for when they are checking your urine at every visit.  So as long as you are keeping your appt's I wouldn't worry.

I was absolutely convinced I had preeclampsia through my whole pregnancy.  I saw stars and was having headaches.  Looking back, I'm sure the stars were from standing up too fast.  I was fine.

However, I would still call the Dr. to be sure.  I wouldn't worry about bothering them or anything.  That is why they are there.  They are getting paid to take care of you.  After I got my bill at the end of the pregnancy I wished I would have called more often to get my money's worth:)  I'm not going to hesitate to call during this one!!

Could your dr. call in an order to get a urine and blood sample at a lab near by you so you wouldn't have to drive so far?
they took a urine sample last Friday.  I aways wondered what those little strips they dip in my urine were for lol.  They do that every time I go.  I call an ask the nurse stuff all the time so I try to make sure that its important lol.
The urine strips are to check for protein in your urine.

The pain under your ribs is one of the signs of pre eclampsia.

I know this because I have just developed it in the last three days.

They let me come home to get my stuff, but I am going back to be admitted.

Make sure you mention it to your doctor!
KTowne Definitely starting to feel... Comment
KeeLolo commented on hansen20's status
Shannon79 commented on renae176's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy