Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Placenta covering cervix?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Placenta covering cervix?

So I went to the doc today because I was having a lot of pressure and cramps and they did a u/s.  The nurse told me everything was fine and sent me on my way.  About halfway home the doc calls and says that he reviewed my u/s and I have placenta something or other, where the placenta is covering my cervix.  He said I am not supposed to do anything but sit at home and watch tv.  Has anyone ever had this?  Are there risks to the baby?
I have never had this but I beleive its called placenta previa.
You can google that and find some info.
Here is some info I I found for you:
(I just cut and pasted this so its not my words)

Causes and Risk Factors of Placenta Previa
The cause of placenta previa is not known. It is more common in women who have already had children, older women and in women who smoke. A previous cesarean birth or induced abortion may increase the risk of placenta previa. A larger placenta increases the risk of placenta previa, because it is more likely for the edge of the placenta to lie near or over the cervical opening.

Symptoms of Placenta Previa
The first symptom is usually bright red, painless bleeding between weeks 28 and 38 of pregnancy. The initial episode of bleeding may or may not be followed by others.

There are serious problems associated with placenta previa. For the mother, repeated or severe bleeding can result in anemia and low blood volume, both of which can be countered through transfusions.
For the baby, the gravest danger after birth is respiratory distress syndrome due to premature delivery. With modern neonatal intensive care facilities and topflight medical care, babies born with respiratory distress do better now than ever before, but some babies do still die. Placenta previa can also cause the baby to be small for gestational age. This is called intrauterine growth retardation.
Babies of mothers with placenta previa seem to have a higher incidence of jaundice at birth (readily treated by exposure to special lights in the neonatal intensive care nursery). About 10 percent of all babies of mothers with placenta previa lose some blood, along with the mother, when bleeding occurs in the uterus. Sometimes the bleeding is severe enough that the baby needs a transfusion shortly after birth.

Here are some questions to ask your doctor:

What can be done to prevent hemorrhaging?
Are there certain sleeping positions that will make hemorrhaging less likely?
If hemorrhaging begins, what should be done?
How serious is the risk to the unborn child's health?
Depending on the severity of the condition, how far along in the pregnancy is it safe to deliver the unborn child?
Is the unborn child getting enough nourishment if the placenta is separating from the uterine wall?
If a transfusion is necessary, how can you be sure that the blood is not contaminated?
What about sexual intercourse?
Will you have to monitor the baby?
If so, how frequently?
Will an ultrasound be required?
Will the ultrasound hurt the unborn child?

IF YOU EVER HAVE ANY BLEEDING OR SPOTTING, GO TO THE ER EMMIDIATELY

Good luck honey, keep us posted
Vanessa

Well i've never heard of this but after reading th epost above and researching it, Ihope everything is ok and I will pray for you and the little one!!!
Thank you ladies!  I am really freaked out and when doc told me I couldn't really think of any questions.  Now the office is closed I have a ton.  My last pregnancy ended in miscarriage so I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying.  I am 18 weeks and don't know if I could handle anything happening to my baby.  I also found out I am having a girl!
Des_a_rae Great news at the Dr. Dads... Comment
29 mins ago
hansen20 well I guess af was not gon... Comment
1 hr ago
Des_a_rae commented on AF you evil witch!
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy