Please help
My wonderful sister has had four failed IVF attempts. This time she used an egg that was very kindly donated by another patient who was undergoing IVF. She had two desperate a grade embryo put it a few weeks ago. She went for transvagival scan last week when she was seven months and there was little heartbeat flickering away. Today at 8 weeks she went for another vaginal scan and no heartbeat. She has no bleeding and suffered from all the usual symptoms common during early pregnancy. She has been trying to have a baby for seven years and had four lots of IVF. She has to go to hospital on Monday where they have told her she will have anther scan before anything else is done. What are the chances of missing a transvagival scan heartbeat at 8 weeks? Are they accurate? Would hate for her to undergo a D and C when the baby could still be alive. She is still nauseous and still has very large pregnant looking breast.
She should have another ultrasound to be sure for peace of mind.  Good luck
I think those are fairy accurate when it comes to seeing the heart beat, but I'd get another ultrasound to be safe, hope it turns out for the best for her.
Thank you. Can heartbeats sometimes be missed even if the were there a week ago. She was 8 weeks and one day. I am on here as I am very concerned for her. She is 43 years old but the eggs that were donated we're from a 26 year old. Sorry if I sound silly
If the baby is definately dead following another scan on Monday would they rid of it there and then?
I don't think you found silly, I miscarried at 18+ wks, I had a doc appt two days before and baby was fine, then went for an ultrasound and the baby had no heart beat. So anything is possible, I understand your concern you seem to be a great support. My D&C happened 3 days later. I doubt they'd do it right then and there.
*SOUND!!
Thank you babyinJuly. I am just praying that this could be a misdiagnosis and maybe they just missed the heartbeat today. I know I am clutching at straws but I wanted to know if miracles can happen. We are all devastated at the mo as she has gone through so much and it's the first time for her to get pregnant. This time last week we were all smiles following sac, today it's been tears. Thank you for taking the time to reply and I wish you all the very best of luck for the future x
SCAN!
Thanx so much! Best of wishes-if for any reason baby still has a heart beat repost if you can! I'm delivering Sunday but will keep an eye out for you!
Will let you know if anything changes. Good luck with the birth of your little Angel on Sunday, I hope all goes well for you and thanks again x
While its not likely they would miss it, it does happen. Another scan would definitely be the best and smartest route to go - she can have multiple ones done if that's what she prefers.

As for her symptoms, she will have those for as long as she has the hCG hormone in her body. Symptoms don't mean a pregnancy is viable or not, it's just the body's reaction to them. I hope her next scan turns out positively.
Thank you. My sister has a hospital appointment tomorrow. I have told her to make sure they scan her before they do anything else. This weekend has been heartbreaking. We were all so happy for her and now it's just so sad. Thank you all for responding to my initial query. I will let you know if by chance a small miracle happens tomorrow x